North Highlands Woman Killed in Hit and Run Accident
On October 3 in North Highlands, a woman crossing the street while walking her dog was struck and killed by a hit and run driver. The accident happened along A Street, close to South Haven Drive, when she was hit by a 1993 to 1995 Honda Civic coupe, described as brown or another dark color. The woman’s dog was injured and transported to the Sacramento County animal control shelter. It was reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) that the vehicle that struck the woman fled the scene and was last spotted heading east along A Street. The vehicle has front end damage that is moderate to severe. Officer Walker, who is with the CHP, asks that anyone with details about the accident or information, please call the North Sacramento office at (916) 328-2300 or (916) 798-0975. The CHP is in charge of the investigation into the pedestrian fatality.
Ways to Cope After a Wrongful Death
A family faces immense grief after the unexpected loss of a loved one. Suddenly, they face a lifetime without them, devoid of the love, support and care they provided. When this happens, the family seeks justice and reasons why the event occurred. Loss can have many detrimental effects on the family in the short term and for years to come. There are ways to cope with the loved one’s death that may be of assistance:
- Meet basic needs: Oftentimes, after a sudden death, family members fail to eat and sleep properly. This takes a considerable toll on their well being. It is important to band together as a family and make sure their basic needs are met.
- Build a safety net: In the midst of mourning, it is possible to have accidents due to the enormous preoccupation the family member has. It is vital to slow down, and be careful even when doing normal tasks or driving.
- Help covering responsibilities: Many times, a person is responsible for the care of children, older parents, and pets. Other family members can assist by giving them a helping hand.
- Medical care: If the spouse is under care by a physician, particularly if they are taking medication, it is important to make sure prescriptions have been refilled.
- Being part of the decision-making process: There are many decisions that must be made after a death. They range from the type of burial and the clothes the deceased will wear to arrangements for visiting family members. Delegating responsibilities among family members may help.
Negligence in an Accident
When someone dies in an accident due to a negligent driver, the family can claim financial damages for their loss. If a hit and run is involved, finding the driver is important, so it is critical to enlist the aid of a lawyer experienced in these types of accidents. Time is of the essence when a crash occurs since evidence can be misplaced or lost during the cleanup process. Our investigative team goes right to work scouring the accident scene for information about the way the crash occurred and who was at fault. They interview witnesses and search for identifying information about the vehicle and its driver that can lead to the guilty party.
How a Lawyer Helps
Our investigative team checks the police report for errors that sometimes are made in the confusion that exists after an accident. We may perform an accident reconstruction inquiry and obtain footage from nearby surveillance cameras that might have captured the accident. Forensic specialists may also be used. Our office has a good track record of locating hit and run drivers. However, the longer it takes to contact us, the more difficult it becomes because evidence can disappear quickly.
If the hit and run driver cannot be located, we can help the family obtain compensation through coverage for an uninsured motorist. This type of insurance covers an individual, whether they were in a car or other vehicle, riding a bicycle or walking at the time of the accident. In the case of the loss of a family member, another person living in the household who carries uninsured motorist coverage can place a claim for their loss. Doing this will not cause their insurance rates to increase. By placing a claim, the family can recover the funeral and burial expenses plus the support the decedent provided.
North Highlands Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands wrongful death lawyer. Tragedies such as in the accident above happen far too often in Sacramento County. If your family suffered the loss of a loved one because of a negligent motorist, I can help. Please give me a call for my free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 or through our toll-free number at (800) 404-5400. If you prefer, you can reach me through our contact form online.
Since 1982, I’ve helped North Highlands residents, along with other Northern Californians, to win compensation for injuries and fatalities caused by negligence. Among areas I represent include all types of traffic crashes, government entity claims, and traumas.
I’m especially proud of belonging to the following organizations:
Discover more information about my law practice by going to the following links to see client reviews and cases handled by my law firm:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/condolences-trauerkarte-letters-3991589/
:cd llo [cs 900]