Accident on Park Avenue Occurs After Driver Runs Stop Sign
In a traffic accident on May 10 in North Highlands, a minor injury occurred when a driver T-boned a semi. The accident occurred at the Palm Avenue intersection with Roseville Road around 2:30 p.m. According to the North Sacramento Division of the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the driver ran through a stop sign and ended up T-boning the semi, which caused it to flip over through a fence. Gasoline from the truck was spilled onto the train tracks. A minor injury was reported in the collision.
Running a Stop Sign or Red Light
Unsignalized intersections and those with stop signs or traffic lights are a major cause of accident injuries and fatalities. According to the Federal Highway Administration, 10,180 people lost their lives in intersection crashes in 2019 that did not have a traffic signal or stop sign, including 885 pedestrians and 218 bicyclists. However, at those intersections that did have either a stop sign or traffic signal, 9,644 people died that same year. A number of those fatalities occurred because a driver ran a red light or stop sign.
Why Do Drivers Run Red Lights or Stop Signs at Intersections?
Driver negligence is responsible for about 95 percent of all traffic collisions, and more than half of those accidents occur at intersections. Some of the most common reasons a driver runs a red light or stop sign are:
- The driver is running late for an appointment or to get to work.
- The motorist has been drinking, which affects their judgment, reflexes, and ability to drive safely.
- Distracted driving, such as texting, checking their mail, or changing the radio station, leads to many accidents. When the driver is looking away from the road, he/she may not realize they are so close to an intersection until it is too late.
- Speeding drivers are a common reason a motorist runs a stop sign or red light. Because they are going too fast, they neither have time to stop nor to slow down sufficiently to avoid running the light or sign until it is too late.
- Drivers who are short on sleep, work swing shifts, and just stayed up too late the night before can be as much of a danger on the roadway as a drunken motorist. Their reactions behind the wheel of a car are similar, and the driver probably doesn’t even realize it until they’ve caused an accident.
When a negligent driver causes your accident injuries, you have the right to claim compensation for your losses. An injury lawyer can help by investigating the accident to uncover the evidence needed to support your claim. Evidence can include accident reconstruction, checking cameras for surveillance footage, interviewing witnesses and more. Once that evidence has been gathered, our lawyers construct a strong case that helps our clients recover the compensation they deserve.
Personal Injury Lawyers in North Highlands
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands personal injury lawyer. When drivers don’t obey traffic laws, serious injuries can be the result when an accident occurs. If you suffered an injury because of a negligent driver, you are welcome to call our office for free and friendly advice on placing a claim to recover compensation. You can reach us at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. We also have an online contact form available.
We would be happy to arrange a virtual or in-person consultation with one of our injury lawyers free of charge. During your consultation, your case will be reviewed and questions answered. You can also find out different options to recover damages to cover your medical bills, lost wages and your pain and suffering.
It is an honor for us to belong to the groups that follow:
Explore the following links to find out how our injury lawyers have helped others:
:cd llo