Female Pedestrian Killed in Accident on Watt Avenue
A pedestrian fatality occurred in North Highlands on November 23 after a woman was struck near an intersection. The accident happened along Watt Avenue near Winona Way at about 5:41 p.m. Officers with the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said a man in a van was heading north along Watt Avenue as a female pedestrian was crossing outside the crosswalk and struck her.
Investigators Determining Cause of Pedestrian Fatality Accident
The pedestrian died later from the injuries she suffered. The driver of the van did not leave the scene of the accident and cooperated with investigators. The cause of the accident did not appear to be influenced by drugs or alcohol.
Wrongful Death Claim for Pedestrian Fatality Accidents
When a loved one suddenly passes away, filing a wrongful death claim may seem like the last thing on the family’s minds. It is possible, however, for the loss of a loved one to have serious financial consequences, especially if the deceased person contributed to their family’s income. Also, wrongful death claims can provide a sense of justice and closure to the family after the loss of a loved one. In a wrongful death lawsuit, damages may be recovered in the following areas:
- Expenses associated with funerals and burials can be recouped.
- Besides wages, other benefits of the job, such as bonuses and pension benefits, can be claimed by the decedent’s estate up until their normal age of retirement. Receipts and proof of income could be used to support a claim if the deceased was self-employed.
- Inheritance losses can be recovered in some cases by beneficiaries in the deceased’s will.
- In addition to reimbursement for loss of consortium, the surviving spouse can also claim loss of affection and moral support.
- The decedent’s children, including other minors who obtained at least half of their support from the deceased, may claim to have lost their parental guidance, nurturing and love.
- Loss of household assistance may be recovered. This area includes chores the decedent normally performed around the home, such as lawn or childcare, servicing or repairing the family’s vehicles and others. Household assistance can be recovered because the family may now have to pay someone to do the work the deceased did before they died.
Seeking Help From a Pedestrian Fatality Lawyer
Many wrongful death cases have been successfully handled by our legal firm over the years. Our team of compassionate and experienced professionals understands how emotionally and financially draining a loss can be as well as the grief of losing someone when it never had to happen. Whether you are interested in negotiating with the insurance company or litigating your case, we can assist you. We make it as easy as possible, so your family members can continue in the grief process without the worries that financial strain can bring.
North Highlands Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a North Highlands wrongful death lawyer. When your family has lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence in a pedestrian fatality accident, you have the right to place a wrongful death claim. Although it won’t ease your grief, it does hold the at-fault party responsible. You can contact us for our compassionate, free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. You can also get in touch with us online.
By contacting us, we can arrange a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys in which your case will be reviewed and you will be informed of possible options to recover damages.
We are honored to be members of the following:
Discover how our team of injury lawyers helped others by visiting the links below:
:cd llo