Challenges of Nerve Damage From a Degloving Injury
One of the often overlooked issues when riding a motorcycle is the possibility of nerve damage from a degloving injury. A degloving injury occurs when an extensive amount of skin is torn from the body. This is termed an avulsion injury. While most motorcycle riders are aware of the dangers of bone fractures, road rash, and head injuries, they should also understand the severe complications of avulsion injuries.
Degloving injuries can lead to many complications, both acutely and down the road. Among the various difficulties is damage to the blood supply of that region of the body along with the loss of soft tissue. Furthermore, one of the most common complications is nerve damage. Nerve damage has the potential to severely damage someone’s quality of life.
How Does Nerve Damage Occur from Degloving Injuries?
Treatment of Degloving Injuries
- Save as many of the internal structures as can be preserved
- Cover the surface of the skin as early as possible
- Ensure that this skin cover is thick enough to prevent infection
- Make sure future surgeons have room to perform secondary procedures
- Restore function as quickly as possible
How is Nerve Damage from Degloving Injuries Treated?
Help from a California Personal Injury Lawyer
- How will I afford my medical care?
- Will my health insurance company cover the costs related to my surgery?
- What about the cost of my physical and occupational therapy appointments?
- How did this accident even happen in the first place? Could it have been avoided?
- Will I lose my job as a result of my injury?
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento personal injury lawyer. Individuals and families who have sustained nerve damage in a degloving injury can call us at (916) 921-6400. Our legal team would be happy to provide friendly, free advice. Those with questions and concerns can also contact us on my toll-free line: (800) 404-5400.
We are proud to be included in the Million Dollar Advocates. Injury lawyers in this group have obtained results in excess of $1 million for clients. We are also honored to be included in the Top 1 Percent.
All of our visitors are free to look through our verdicts or settlements.
Photo Source: “Rodnae” on Pexels
:dr [cs 776] cv ds