Traffic Lanes Blocked by Sacramento Five-Vehicle Crash
A traffic accident involving multiple vehicles occurred along the westbound U.S. 50 in Sacramento on October 7. The five-vehicle accident happened along the westbound El Dorado Freeway just east of the on-ramp for Stockton Boulevard at around 1:00 p.m. The incident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) stated that it involved two sedans, an SUV, and two pickups.
Traffic Accident Being Investigated to Determine Cause
The collision blocked the number four and five lanes of the highway as police attempted to clear the scene, and at least one of the vehicles had to be towed. At the time of this report, the number of injuries suffered from the traffic accident had not been released. The CHP is conducting an investigation to determine how the crash occurred.
Why Are Multiple-Vehicle Accidents so Dangerous?
Because of the close proximity of vehicles in a multiple-vehicle accident on a crowded highway, certain issues can result in higher casualties. Some of the dangerous problems associated with a multiple-vehicle accident are listed below:
- Police and first responders are unable to reach the accident site quickly, resulting in an increased risk of a serious or fatal outcome.
- In addition, it takes longer for ambulances to reach the scene, delaying the time to transfer injured people to a medical facility.
- Since fire is a common component of a multiple-vehicle accident, a delay of fire trucks to the site can cause the fire to spread to other vehicles, especially if there is a fuel spill.
- Many times, people leave their vehicles and suffer a higher risk of being struck by another car or truck.
Causes of Multiple-Vehicle Collisions
Multiple-vehicle crashes can be chaotic where cars hit other vehicles randomly or the result of a chain collision. Some of the most common reasons for a multiple-vehicle accident are:
- Intoxicated driving: Whether due to alcohol, drugs, or prescription medicines, an intoxicated driver lacks the ability to react quickly, concentrate and drive safely. This type of behavior leads to many pileups.
- Speeding: When drivers speed, they are unable to react in time before hitting another vehicle. This is common in a chain-reaction collision.
- Fatigued driving: Many drivers on the road are too sleepy to drive. This is as dangerous as driving drunk and leads to collisions, including multiple-vehicle traffic accidents. Falling asleep at the wheel for even a few seconds while moving can result in rear-end collision.
- Driving distracted: This behavior is rapidly becoming a major cause of traffic accidents. Most of the time, it results from texting. However, other activities such as eating, looking at the GPS, or adjusting the radio are frequently involved.
- Inclement weather: Drivers may overlook the effect bad weather conditions have on getting to their destination safely. Icy or wet roads make it harder for a driver to stop or maintain their lane. Driving at a slower speed and staying at a safe distance from other vehicles is helpful.
Assigning Liability in a Multiple-Vehicle Traffic Accident
Assigning liability in a multiple-vehicle traffic accident can be complicated. In some cases, it is the driver who initiated the incident by rear-ending the vehicle in front of them. However, this is not always the case. Sometimes, the lead vehicle fails to signal they are about to turn or apply their brakes without functioning brake lights.
The accident must be carefully examined to determine liability. That is where our experienced investigative team shines. They examine the crash scene for evidence of negligence using accident reconstruction techniques and examine the vehicle for defective or poorly maintained parts such as taillights. Our investigators also talk to witnesses and obtain surveillance videos of the crash. This data is key in building a robust case for our clients.
Car Accident Lawyer in Sacramento
I am Ed Smith, a car accident lawyer in Sacramento. Negligent drivers can cause devastating injuries, and if this happens to you, we offer free and friendly advice on whether you can file a claim for compensation. You can reach us locally at (916) 621-6400 or long-distance at (800) 404-5400. If you prefer, you can message us online.
We are honored to belong to:
Information about how my legal team and I have assisted others in getting fair compensation for their injuries can be found at the links below:
Since 1982, our legal team has helped Northern Californians obtain the compensation they deserve in all varieties of car accidents and other traffic collisions, government claims, wrongful deaths, and other cases.
:cd llo