Multiple-Vehicle Crash on I-80 Results in a Fatality
A multiple-vehicle crash in Sacramento on June 21 ended up in a fatality. The collision involved five vehicles and occurred along eastbound Interstate 80 close to westbound El Camino Avenue at around 1:00 p.m. Officer A.J. McTaggart, a North Sacramento California Highway Patrol (CHP) spokesman, said a Rocklin man, age 79, died in the collision.
Investigation Underway to Determine Cause of Multiple-Vehicle Crash
The cause of the multiple-vehicle crash is still being determined by authorities. It is unknown whether drugs or alcohol factored in the collision. Caltrans reported that the eastbound lanes along I-80 were open once again around 3:20 p.m.
Crashes Involving Multiple Vehicles
When a multiple-vehicle crash occurs, more than one of the drivers is probably going to be found negligent, which means the family of the deceased can file a wrongful death claim to recover damages. Some of the most common causes of negligence in a multiple-vehicle crash include tailgating, speeding, distracted or drunk driving, and others.
Fatal Accidents on the Interstate
Our injury lawyers have handled many wrongful death claims successfully over the years and may be able to help your family too. Their first duty is to find out which drivers were negligent and contributed to the seriousness of the collision. The first thing we do is send out our investigators to collect the evidence needed to support a wrongful death claim, such as:
- The accident scene and vehicles are photographed, along with any road damage.
- Performing accident reconstruction allows the insurance company or jury to see how the collision began, what happened, and which driver/drivers were at fault.
- The incident report filed by the responding police is examined to ensure its accuracy since mistakes could prevent the client from filing a claim.
- Area traffic cameras, as well as those at nearby businesses, are checked to see if the crash was videotaped. If it was, that can be subpoenaed to use either negotiating with the insurance company or in civil court.
- Witnesses of the multiple-vehicle crash are interviewed by the investigators. In some instances, a witness may have taped the collision as it happened on their smartphone. Talking to witnesses is also a good way to collect corroborating statements on how the multiple-vehicle crash happened.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
It is understandable that the furthest thing from a grieving family’s thoughts is whether to file a wrongful death claim. They are deep in grief, confused, and wondering why their loved one had to die that way. However, by filing a claim for wrongful death, they can recover the funeral and burial expenses, possible lost income, and other losses.
Although their grief will not be eased, they will have the knowledge that the negligent party/parties responsible for their loved one’s demise are being held responsible. In addition, by recovering compensation, it can help the family move forward without the added financial strain.
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Sacramento
Ed Smith is my name, and I am a wrongful death lawyer in Sacramento. It is always shocking to lose a loved one in a traffic collision and even worse when it was a death that didn’t have to happen. A family may be allowed to file a wrongful death claim if the accidental death was the result of negligence by another person or entity. To find out if your family can file, contact us at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. We can also be reached online. By setting up a free virtual or in-person consultation, we can review the case, tell you about options to recover compensation, and answer your questions.
It is an honor that we were chosen as members of the following groups:
Information on how others have been helped by the injury lawyers at AutoAccident.com can be found below:
:cd llo