Minor Dies in Sacramento Traffic Collision

Home » Minor Dies in Sacramento Traffic Collision
July 21, 2022
Edward Smith

Accident at Norwood Avenue Kills One Minor and Injures Another

A minor died in a traffic collision recently in Sacramento following a stop for a vehicle code violation. The accident happened as two teens in the vehicle were driving at high speed and crashed near Norwood and Main avenues, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office. The other juvenile in the vehicle suffered injuries, however, no additional information has been provided by authorities. 

Traffic Collision Being Investigated

A spokesman with the Sheriff’s Office said officers attempted to pull over the male teenagers around 65th and 14th Avenue, but they continued on. The vehicle was spotted later, and the juveniles were reportedly weaving and driving erratically until they crashed their vehicle. The Sheriff’s Office and city investigators are in the process of investigating the areas where the traffic collision occurred. 

Riding as a Passenger in a Vehicle

If your minor is a passenger in a vehicle that crashes, it may be possible to hold the parents of the driver financially responsible either through their insurance company or by filing a lawsuit. Under Code of Civil Procedure Section 377.60 (b), a parent who loses a child because of another’s negligence can place a claim for wrongful death.  When your minor child dies, you can ask your accident attorney about filing a claim for wrongful death. Although it will not ease the family pain, it can help bring them justice and closure. Recovery of damages by filing a wrongful death claim can include both economic and non-economic compensation, such as:

  • Burial and funeral expenses are recoverable.
  • The loss of income may be recovered if the loved one was employed. The lost income can include pension and insurance benefits, bonuses and other perks of the job. This is recoverable until the person’s natural age of retirement.
  • The loss of benefits or gifts the parents would have received is recoverable.
  • Household services the decedent provided, such as lawn mowing, cleaning and other duties, can be recovered.
  • The loss of love, companionship, care, assistance and comfort the decedent provided is claimable.
  • Recovery of damages for the grief, sorrow and mental anguish the loss caused can be recovered.

Uninsured/Underinsured Insurance

All drivers in California are required to at least carry minimal auto liability insurance, however, this does not cover injuries to yourself or others in the family. Many drivers in California opt to take coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers due to the high number of motorists in the state who have no auto insurance or not enough. This type of policy will pay out if a member of the family dies in a traffic collision. If the person who died does not have this policy, but another family member does, that can be used instead. It does not affect the rates.

Attorneys for Wrongful Death in Sacramento

I’m Ed Smith, and I am a wrongful death lawyer. Passengers in vehicles are not responsible when the driver of that car acts in a reckless manner and causes a collision. If your offspring was injured or killed in an accident that was someone else’s fault, you may be able to recover damages. You can call us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. Contact the office online if that is more convenient.

You can find out how our team of injury lawyers has assisted many others in getting the compensation they deserve at the links that follow:

We are honored to belong to the following:

Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay 

:cd llo [610]