Medical Problem May Be Cause of Sacramento Crash in Glenbrook Area
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. A two-vehicle collision in East Sacramento in the Glenbrook area happened on May 29 when the cars crashed on a residential street. A medical problem may have contributed to the accident, which resulted in an injury, according to a report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Details of the Crash
The accident occurred between two Toyota Camrys a few minutes before noon along La Riviera Drive. The CHP stated that one of the vehicles ended up in the street, blocking the roadway, while the other sedan went into some bushes. The road was cleared a few minutes after the collision.
Accidents Near Home
Accidents don’t just happen along busy city streets and freeways; they can also occur in your neighborhood. According to research performed by one insurance company, 52 percent of all types of car accidents happen close to home. A large part of the reason is that people like to do their shopping nearby for the convenience. Because people tend to drive more slowly in residential neighborhoods, their speeds are lower. This means that if an accident occurs, injuries are probably going to be less severe.
Medical Conditions That Can Affect Driving
While many people drive safely when they have a medical condition, some may not and might cause an accident that results in serious injuries to others. In California, if someone is aware of a driver who might be potentially dangerous on the road, that person can be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The DMV will request the driver to retake the exam again to ensure that the person is fit to be behind the wheel of a vehicle. Some of the areas that might be of concern are:
- Vision problems such as glaucoma, macular degeneration or a limited field of view can adversely affect a driver’s ability.
- Nervous system diseases like narcolepsy where the individual falls asleep without warning or has severe sleep apnea could warrant refusal of a drivers license.
- Dementia or other mental disorders that might interfere with the driver’s ability to function could benefit from retesting.
- Alcoholism or drug use may be cited as a reason someone is an unsafe driver because of the potential for drunk driving accidents.
Injuries in a Low Impact Accident
The type of car accident injury in a low impact crash can partially depend on what section of the vehicle is struck:
- Head-on collision: Typical injuries in this type of collision may include head injuries and cervical spine injuries. It may also include trauma to the chest from impact with the steering wheel or dash and injuries to the legs.
- Rear-end collision: Cervical spine injuries, head injuries such as traumatic brain injury and broken bones frequently occur in rear-end collisions.
- Side impact: While concussions and spinal injuries are most common in a side impact crash, other types of serious injuries may occur. These include broken bones and soft tissue trauma such as abdominal injuries.
Sacramento Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Even low-speed collisions can cause injuries that result in medical bills and time away from work. If you or someone you care about was injured in a collision caused by negligence, I have friendly and free advice to offer. I can be reached at (916) 921-6400 for those who live in the Sacramento area. For those outside the area, you can reach me at my toll-free number (800) 404-5400.
You can learn what others have had to say about my law firm at:
Million Dollar Forum is a group I belong to whose membership is made up of trial lawyers with verdicts or settlements of $1 million for prior clients.
If you are interested in some of our prior cases and how they concluded, please visit Settlements & Verdicts on my website.
It has been my privilege to have represented many residents of Sacramento and surrounding Northern California for more than 36 years with their injury claims, including wrongful death cases and brain injuries.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/car-accident-crash-crashed-smash-85320/
:cd llo [cs 739] cv