Man Killed in Pedestrian Accident Near Stockton
A man was killed in a pedestrian accident near Stockton on the night of April 20, 2019. The incident occurred shortly after 10:30 in the evening along northbound Highway 99 near Farmington Road just between the Golden Gate Avenue and Mariposa Road interchanges. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported a pedestrian had walked from the right shoulder to enter the traffic lanes. While doing so, he was struck by a passing Acura TL sedan. Sadly, the man succumbed to his injuries at the scene. The San Joaquin County Coroner’s Office has not yet named the decedent due to pending notification of next-of-kin. Our hearts go out to the loved ones of the man who lost his life in this devastating accident.
Common Reasons for Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents are the result of driver negligence or inattentiveness in most cases. This is not to say that pedestrians are always blameless. Instead, some motorists may find it difficult to drive safely around walkers. Following are some common reasons for these crashes caused by driver error.
- Distracted driving such as texting on a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians at designated crosswalks
- Fatigued driving
- Running a stop sign or red light
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable on the road due to their lack of physical protection against a motor vehicle. They are likely to suffer any of the following injuries in a pedestrian accident:
- Amputations: When a bone is fractured in a crash, it may lead to severe tissue and blood vessel damage that sometimes cannot be treated. This may result in limb amputation when the injury has been assessed by a physician who sees no possibility of successfully treating the trauma.
- Bone Fractures: When a car strikes a pedestrian, they are likely to feel the impact on the thighs and pelvis. This could result in several fractures of the bones. Depending on the severity of the injury and the speed of the vehicle involved, bone fractures often take a while to heal. During this time, a pedestrian may not be able to report to their place of work or perform normal activities.
- Internal Trauma: Since the force from a vehicle is higher in a pedestrian accident, this means there is a higher chance that internal organs will be damaged. This may lead to internal bleeding or even death if the trauma is not treated promptly.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: A pedestrian may suffer a brain injury in a collision since they have nothing to protect them when they are hit by a vehicle and fall to the ground. Some are temporary and may be treated whereas others can result in permanent changes.
- Wrongful Death: When a pedestrian strikes the pavement, they are likely to suffer road rash. If not treated immediately, this can result in rapid blood loss or infection leading to death.
Pedestrian Accidents and Wrongful Death
A pedestrian accident may lead to the demise of a family member. When this happens, a wrongful death claim may be filed against the party responsible for the loss. Those who are allowed to file include the spouse, domestic partner, or children of the decedent. A family may be able to recover funeral expenses, burial costs, loss of companionship or intimacy, end-of-life medical bills, and loss of future monetary support. In some cases, a family may be able to recover punitive damages. However, it must be proven that the negligent party committed an egregious act such as drunk driving in a pedestrian accident. To learn more about these types of cases, watch the video below.
How a Stockton Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
An attorney who is experienced in wrongful death cases can help in assigning liability. The lawyer can review the facts and circumstances of the incident, inspect the collision scene, and determine fault. With that knowledge, the attorney can make an assessment of negligence to calculate damages and make negotiations with the insurance companies. If a settlement agreement cannot be reached, the lawyer can take the case to civil court.
Stockton Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury lawyer. When a pedestrian suffers severe or fatal injuries in a car crash, the emotional and financial cost can spiral for the family. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an accident caused by the negligence of someone else, call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly case advice.
See reviews from our former clients on the following sites:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates. This forum allows membership to those attorneys who have obtained $1 million or more for a client. I also belong to the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. This group invites only top attorneys to join who exhibit the highest legal excellence in their practice.
Browse a selection of some prior cases we have handled on our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image Credit: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 851]