Man Injured in Sonora Motorcycle Accident
A man was injured in a Sonora motorcycle accident on the afternoon of June 22, 2019. The incident occurred around 12:30 p.m. along State Route 108 just west of South Washington Street. A Sonora Police Department patrol vehicle was parked along the right shoulder of SR-108 with its emergency lights on. The officer driving the patrol vehicle reportedly received a dispatch call and made a U-turn in front of an oncoming 2008 Honda motorcycle. The 26-year-old man riding the bike was unable to avoid the patrol vehicle and crashed into the left side of the car. The biker was taken to the Doctors Medical Center in Modesto for treatment of serious injuries. Officials have not yet released an update regarding the injured rider’s condition.
Investigation of the Sonora Motorcycle Accident
California Highway Patrol (CHP) is still investigating the cause of the motorcycle accident. Investigators have not yet reported any factors that are believed to have been involved in the collision.
What Are the Common Causes of Motorcycle Collisions?
A motorcycle crash can happen for a wide array of causes. However, some reasons are reported more often than others. These include:
- Defective Bike Equipment: A motorcycle crash is not always the result of driver error. In some cases, defects in motorcycles can increase the risk of injury to a biker or cause collisions. Manufacturers responsible for such faulty products can be held liable for a motorcycle rider’s damages.
- Left Turns: An unsafe left turn is also considered a leading cause of motorcycle crashes in California. Motorists may misjudge the distance of an oncoming biker. This can compromise the safety of the motorcycle rider if they collide with the turning vehicle or lose control of their bike to avoid a crash.
- Road Defects: Bikers face a higher risk of injury from road hazards than drivers do. This is due to the size and stability of the motorcycle. Potholes, poor road design, and lack of warning signage can create a severe threat to motorcycle riders. A government entity is responsible for the upkeep of public roads. When such entities fail to do so, they may be held financially responsible for resulting losses.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: Riders and drivers must be aware and vigilant of all cars on the road. An accident can occur when a driver unsafely switches lanes. These may involve failing to look for hazards in adjacent lanes or failing to signal.
What Are the Most Common Motorcycle Injuries?
A rider who is involved in a motorcycle crash can sustain a wide array of injuries. Injuries commonly reported in these accidents include amputation, cervical sprain, bone fractures, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries. Even minor injuries can be overwhelming and painful. A biker should not have to bear the expenses of their injury if another person is to blame. In these cases, an injured motorcycle rider can seek reimbursement of their losses through a personal injury case.
What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Motorcycle Accident Case?
A motorcycle collision can cause significant financial setbacks. However, compensation from a personal injury claim can help cover those damages. These include:
- Costs of medical treatment
- Diminished earning capacity
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Wrongful death
Specific factors may affect the value of a personal injury claim. To learn what these are, watch the below video.
Should I Hire a Lawyer?
Insurance claims for a motorcycle accident can be frustrating and challenging. Insurance companies will find any way to limit the amount they pay for an injury claim. Having an experienced Sonora personal injury attorney at your side is essential in such situations. An injury lawyer can help an injured biker navigate the claims process, identify their options for recovery, and ensure that the insurance carrier extends a fair settlement offer.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Sonora
I’m Ed Smith, a Sonora personal injury lawyer. A motorcycle accident can change the lives of those involved in the blink of an eye. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident resulting in serious injuries, you may benefit from the insight of an experienced injury lawyer. Please feel free to call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly advice.
Learn more about our law office by visiting the following links:
I am a proud member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel and the Million Dollar Advocates. The first group recognizes attorneys with a standard of excellence in their legal practice. The other forum is comprised of trial attorneys who have won over $1 million for a client.
Go to our Verdicts and Settlements page to learn more about our law firm and past cases we have handled.
:ds llo [cs 829]