Single-Vehicle Crash Involves Multiple Rollover on U.S. 50
A major injury occurred in Placerville on January 22 when a vehicle spun out. The accident happened around 6:07 p.m. on U.S. 50 westbound at Cameron Park Drive. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) incident report said that a Toyota Tacoma overturned multiple times and ended up in the center divider.
Medics Arrive Quickly to Assess Serious Injuries in Accident
Emergency medical personnel with the fire department quickly arrived in a helicopter to assess injuries. It was determined that a woman had suffered a significant head injury. An infant in the vehicle was also injured.
Helicopter Used to Transport Major Injury Patient to Hospital
Both were transported by helicopter to the U.C. Davis Medical Center for emergency treatment and additional evaluation. The vehicle was towed from the scene as evidence. An additional police unit was called to the scene of the serious injury crash to direct traffic. The accident is being investigated to determine what caused the vehicle’s spinout.
Why a Rollover Accident Happens
Rollovers are among the most dangerous of all traffic accidents and suffering a major injury in one is common. Vehicles that are more likely to experience a rollover include light trucks, SUVs and vans because they have a higher center of gravity than other cars. However, if the circumstances are just right, a rollover can happen in any vehicle. Some of the more common causes include:
- Collision with another vehicle, especially if the car is struck in the side
- Running into a low obstacle such as a curb
- Speeding while going around a sharp curve
- Swerving to avoid a hazard in the road
Additional Reasons That Can Result in a Rollover Accident Major Injury
There are times when an outside influence can result in a rollover, causing a major injury. The following are examples:
- Auto defects can lead to a rollover accident: When a vehicle’s brakes fail, the steering wheel locks because the engine suddenly shuts down, the accelerator sticks or the car experiences sudden acceleration for no reason, it can cause a rollover crash. Because auto recalls are common, it is important to retain the vehicle so that it can be examined for auto defects. If a defect is found to have caused your severe injury accident, an auto product liability claim can be placed against the manufacturer.
- Dangerous roadway: When problems occur with the roadway, it can lead to a major injury rollover accident. Examples of problems that can cause a vehicle to crash include potholes, debris lying in the roadway, weak guardrails, poor overhead lighting and others. When this is found to be the cause of a major injury collision, the government entity in charge of maintenance may be held liable. Because the statute of limitations for filing against a government entity is much shorter than for other personal injury cases, asking for the help of a lawyer may be advisable.
- Hit-and-run drivers: A hit-and-run driver or one who is aggressive can cause a major injury accident and then just leave the scene. For example, an aggressive driver can tailgate, which makes the affected driver frightened and nervous. At its extreme, an aggressive driver can force another motorist off the roadway. By examining the evidence found at the accident site, it can be determined if another driver caused the collision and then left the scene.
Placerville Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Placerville personal injury lawyer. Not all injuries are due to negligence by the driver. If an outside influence caused your major injury, we are here to offer you free and friendly advice. Contact us at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 to find out whether you have a case, get your questions answered, and discover what options are available to recover compensation. We can also be contacted online.
We are honored to be members of:
Helpful information on how our injury lawyer team has assisted others can be found at the following links:
:cd llo