Major Injuries Reported in Merced Pedestrian Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. A man suffered serious injuries after being struck by a vehicle in central Merced on June 19, 2018. At approximately 9:45 in the night, a man was crossing inside a crosswalk along R Street at Main Street when he was hit by an oncoming Honda sedan. First responders transported the man via air ambulance to a hospital in Modesto due to major injuries to his head and face. An update on his condition has not yet been released by officials.
Authorities have not yet decided a cause of the pedestrian accident due to pending investigation. Preliminary reports indicated that the man was allegedly walking against a traffic light when crossing inside the crosswalk. However, other vehicles in the area reportedly slowed to allow the man to cross while the Honda driver claimed not to have seen him. Evidence at the scene also showed that the Honda had a smashed windshield due to the collision.
Accidents involving someone walking often result in life-changing consequences for the victim and their family. Below are statistics surrounding the severity of pedestrian accidents:
- Approximately 5,376 pedestrians suffered fatal injuries in traffic accidents throughout the United States in 2015. This accounted for one pedestrian accident death every 1.6 hours (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention);
- In California, twenty-one percent of the total individuals killed in motor vehicle accidents were pedestrians (according to the California Department of Public Health);
- Pedestrian fatalities were found most common in urban areas with fifty-two percent in 2016 and rural areas with twenty-two percent (according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety);
- The highest percentage of pedestrian deaths occurred between 6:00 p.m. and 8:59 p.m. with twenty-six percent (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration);
- The fifth leading cause of trauma-related death for adolescents ages five to nineteen were unintentional pedestrian injuries (according to SafeKids.org).
Fault in a Pedestrian Accident
When an accident occurs between a pedestrian and a motor vehicle, determining who was at fault will generally require a thorough investigation of the circumstances and facts of the incident. Since California follows a “pure comparative negligence” system, a pedestrian who shares partial fault in an accident may still be able to recover for some of their damages. For instance, a pedestrian who was found twenty-five percent at fault in an accident may still be able to collect seventy-five percent of the awarded damages. Some of the common scenarios where a pedestrian may share partial fault in an accident include:
- Entering a highway or street while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Crossing against a traffic light or outside a crosswalk
- “Jaywalking” or crossing in the middle of the road
- Walking along roadways where pedestrian access is prohibited
How a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help
When motorists fail to exercise due care while behind the wheel, pedestrians oftentimes are the ones paying the highest price due to their lack of physical protection against a motor vehicle. If you or your loved one have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is crucial that you seek experienced legal counsel promptly. By retaining an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer in Merced, you can be assured that your attorney will communicate effectively with insurance companies in obtaining fair compensation for your damages.
Merced Pedestrian Accident & Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. Pedestrian accidents frequently lead to mounting medical bills, lost wages and other costs. If you were injured in an accident as a pedestrian, I am here to provide you with free, friendly advice for your situation. Contact me any time at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
You are welcome to browse reviews and comments about my work as an injury lawyer on these sites:
As a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, I join other trial attorneys who have won settlements and verdicts of more than one million dollars for a client.
To see how I have resolved cases in the past for my clients, visit my Verdicts and Settlements page.
:ds [cs 716] cv