Major Injuries in Single Vehicle Accident
Major injuries were reported in a June 19 accident in Folsom when a vehicle went off the road. The driver of the vehicle was rushed to the UC Davis Medical Center for treatment and evaluation. The driver was reported to have suffered a chest injury in the accident. The accident happened just after 8:00 in the morning along westbound Lincoln Highway just west of the Prairie City Road on-ramp. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the minivan went off the roadway a distance of about 25 feet for unknown reasons into an area of trees and bushes. The vehicle was buried underneath a tree by the collision, and the fire department had to use a chainsaw to free it.
A SigAlert was issued in the incident due to the closure of the number three lane along westbound U.S. 50. There was no estimated time in which all the lanes would be reopened. No detour was provided, so motorists were advised to expect delays.
Single Vehicle Accidents
In 2017, 55 percent of all California traffic fatalities were due to single vehicle accidents. Many other motorists suffered major injuries. Surprisingly, many single vehicle crashes occur along roads the motorist travels normally, perhaps to go to work. Negligence on the part of the driver is the most common reason for a single vehicle crash that causes major injuries. However, some of those crashes are due to outside influences and are unavoidable by the driver. These can include:
- An animal darting into the road such as a deer can cause the driver to swerve to miss it and lose control.
- Roadway hazards such as potholes, poorly maintained shoulders and cracks or fissures in the pavement can cause a driver to crash.
- An aggressive driver can force another motorist off the road, resulting in an accident with major injuries.
- A defective auto part such as the steering wheel, brakes or accelerator can contribute to an accident and result in major injuries. In these cases, the manufacturer, parts supplier, and others may be held responsible.
- A reckless driver who is tailgating, speeding, and committing other traffic infractions can cause an accident.
- A drunk or drugged driver can cause another motorist to have to take evasive action, crashing their vehicle.
- A distracted driver can unknowingly cross the centerline, resulting in a crash.
- A defective seat belt or airbag can contribute to increased injuries in a motor vehicle crash.
Compensation Following a Single Vehicle Crash
An experienced lawyer can help if your accident was caused by negligence. The lawyer can review the police report and talk to witnesses. They can also conduct their own investigation into how the accident happened. Video footage from nearby cameras, evidence left by tire marks and other information can help build a strong case for the recovery of damages.
Folsom Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Folsom car accident lawyer. Not all single vehicle accidents are caused by driver error. If negligence was the reason for your injuries, you may be able to place a claim for compensation to pay your medical bills, lost time at work, and other expenses. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for my free and friendly advice. You can also reach me through my contact page online at AutoAccident.com.
I’ve been an injury lawyer for Folsom residents since 1982, helping them to recover personal injury compensation. I specialize in all types of accidents, traumatic injuries, and wrongful deaths but also help those in other areas of personal injuries such as products liability.
Having information about a law firm can help you decide who to phone when you need advice. The following links are to my clients’ reviews and cases that my firm has handled:
Included among the associations and groups I belong to are:
- The Million Dollar Forum is for trial lawyers who have obtained in excess of $1 million for a client.
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel invites as members only those lawyers who have a high standard of excellence in the law.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/ambulance-architecture-building-business-263402/
:cd llo [cs 703]