Intersection Traffic Accident Involves Four Vehicles
A four-vehicle intersection collision in Sacramento on August 24 resulted in a major injury to one person. Good Samaritans helped following the accident, which the California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported as occurring around 1:30 in the afternoon at the intersection of Howe Avenue and Arden Way in Arden-Arcade. One of the vehicles, a Chevy pickup, reportedly overturned and caught on fire after the crash, and bystanders used a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze. In addition, they helped a male occupant, who was trapped inside the burning pickup, to get out.
Four-Vehicle Intersection Collision Under Investigation
Medics with the Sacramento Fire Department determined that the patient had suffered a major injury in the intersection accident, and the man was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment. All of the parties involved in the intersection collision remained at the scene to assist CHP investigators, who were determining what caused the crash.
Causes of a Multiple-Vehicle Intersection Collision
Multiple-vehicle accidents can be caused for a number of reasons, usually attributed to at least one negligent driver. The latest statistics show that more than half of all accidents occur in intersections. That isn’t surprising since intersections are where vehicles, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and others converge in a central location. Some common causes of an intersection collision include:
- Running a red light or stop sign: When a driver runs a red light or stop sign, they take the risk of hitting another vehicle broadside. They may also strike a pedestrian or bicyclist who is in the crosswalk.
- Speeding: Speeders should understand that they need a longer distance to stop in an emergency and are at higher risk of losing control of their vehicle. Speeding through an intersection increases the risk of an accident, impacting others and potentially causing serious injuries.
- Distracted driving: Distracted drivers are a major cause of all types of traffic accidents. In the five seconds it takes to text someone, the vehicle they are in travels the length of a football field. Distractions other than the use of a cell phone include looking over to change a radio station, eating or drinking while driving, and carrying on long conversations with passengers.
- Drunk and drugged driving: Those who are intoxicated or under the influence of drugs are dangers on the road. They have trouble staying in their own lane, speed up and slow down and can’t judge the distance from other vehicles. Their vision is affected, reflexes are slowed, and other problems lead to them being a major cause of accidents, including at intersections.
- Roadway negligence or design: Negligence at an intersection may include poor lighting, malfunctioning or mistimed lights and signals, overgrown shrubbery, or other problems. A poor intersection design with blind spots or too sharp turns can also lead to an accident. The government entity in charge of maintenance can be held responsible in these cases.
- Fatigued driving: A driver who is too tired to be driving exhibits similar characteristics to someone who is inebriated. They may enter a state where they are no longer alert to the surrounding traffic and can fall asleep at the wheel or drift out of their lane.
When an intersection collision injury has been caused by a negligent driver or other entity, the injured party may wish to place a claim to recover compensation. We’ve been successful in handling many claims of this type and might be able to assist you too.
Auto Accident Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
I am Ed Smith, an auto accident injury lawyer in Sacramento. When you’ve been injured in an intersection collision, you may benefit from our free and friendly advice. You can reach us at (916) 921-6400, (800) 404-5400 or by contacting us online.
We are honored to have helped many Sacramentans get compensation for their accident injuries since 1982, which include any type of traffic collision, government claims, wrongful deaths, and other cases.
Information about our law firm and how we’ve helped others can be found at the links below:
We are proud members of:
Photo attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/car-accident-clash-rome-highway-2165210/
:cd llo  bw