Intersection Accident After Driver Ignores Red Light
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. A recent collision at an intersection in South Sacramento caused injury when a car ran through a red light and T-boned another vehicle. The vehicles ended up on the right-hand side with moderate damage to one. It is unknown whether alcohol or drugs was a factor in the crash at this time. The incident was investigated by officers with the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
The collision occurred as a silver Mustang was passing through the intersection at Florin Road and Excelsior Road, north of the WildHawk Golf Club, at about 8:50 in the morning. The driver of a red Honda van, reported by the CHP as traveling at least 45 mph, ran the intersection stop sign and broadsided the Mustang. Even though airbags in the vehicles deployed in the collision, an injury may have occurred. It is unknown at this time what the extent of the injury was or whether that individual was transported to a hospital for treatment. Emergency medical technicians were called to the scene.
Avoiding Intersection Accidents
Most accidents with motor vehicles that happen at intersections are caused by errors on the part of one of the drivers. However, there are a few tips that can lessen the risk of an accident at an intersection. These include:
- Drive defensively. Heightened awareness when preparing to cross through an intersection can help prevent an accident.
- Keep an eye on the cross traffic to make sure the vehicles are at a full stop before going into the intersection.
- Don’t try to change lanes in an intersection because a turning vehicle may enter your path or sideswipe your car.
- Look for pedestrians and bicyclists, and cede to them the right of way to avoid a collision.
- Use caution when turning right on red because a view of oncoming traffic may be blocked by other vehicles. This is one of the main reasons that intersections are dangerous.
- At intersections without stop signs or traffic lights that are functional, treat it as you would a normal four-way stop, but keep in mind not all drivers understand how this works.
Causes of Intersection Accidents
About 40 percent of all motor vehicle accidents occur at intersections. While most of them are due to errors by drivers, some may be attributed to negligence by a government entity in maintenance or in the design of an intersection.
- Running a red light or stop sign is a major reason for intersection accidents that can cause serious injuries.
- Driver inattentiveness such as talking to passengers or texting on a cell phone causes crashes.
- The intersection is complicated, so a driver can’t keep an eye on all the traffic.
- Drivers are not keeping a safe distance, so in a sudden stop, a rear end accident occurs.
- Speeding keeps a driver from slowing down in time to avoid a collision.
- Poor visibility can be caused by weather conditions, overgrown tree limbs, and shrubs as well as larger vehicles blocking the view.
- Pedestrians and bicycle riders are more difficult to spot than other motor vehicles.
- Drunk drivers are responsible for many car accidents, including at intersections.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported 956 fatalities at intersections in California during 2016. In 2015, the annual report of the California Office of Traffic Safety described more than 1.2 million convictions for speeding in the state. More than 237,000 were cited for talking on a cell phone while driving. Over 31,000 were texting while driving.
Sacramento Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. Intersection accidents often cause severe injuries and property damage. If you or someone you love has been injured in this type of collision, I can offer you free and friendly advice. Give me a call at (916) 921-6400 for help. You can also contact me at (800) 404-5400.
In my 36 years working as an injury lawyer, I have assisted numerous Sacramento residents in obtaining fair compensation for personal injuries and in wrongful death cases.
The following links display some of the comments left by prior clients and a few of our previous cases:
I am a Million Dollar Advocate member from California. This is a forum of trial lawyers who have earned verdicts or settlements for past clients that exceeded 1 Million Dollars.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/people-walking-city-urban-knapsack-1031169/
:cd [cs 787] cv