Impact of Driver Behavior on Fatal Accidents
I’m Ed Smith, a Natomas car accident lawyer. The rate of motor vehicle accident fatalities around Sacramento, according to recently released statistics, is the highest in 20 years. Learning how driver behavior contributes to motor vehicle accidents is a positive first step in staying safe on the road.
Traffic Fatalities Due to Driver Behavior
In 2016, California showed an overall increase of 13 percent in the number of traffic fatalities because of accidents. A poll conducted by the National Safety Council in the early part of 2017 highlighted the major concerns that drivers have when getting behind the wheel of a vehicle:
- 78 percent: Drunk drivers were cited as the biggest danger on the road.
- 74 percent: Distracted drivers came in second with distracted driving including such areas as texting, talking on a cell phone, eating and drinking in the vehicle and changing radio stations or monitoring GPS.
- 67 percent: Drivers who were impaired by drug use were cited as a major concern. Drug use includes illegal drugs, prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
- 65 percent: Aggressive drivers were a concern with this percentage of poll takers. Aggressive driving includes tailgating, cutting off another vehicle, changing lanes without signaling, running red lights and stop signs and other similar behaviors.
- 59 percent: Over half of the respondents said that speeding was a major concern on the roadways.
- 53 percent: A large number of the poll takers cited road rage as a problem along city streets and highways. Road rage can include behaviors such as gestures, yelling at other drivers and getting into a physical altercation with another driver to pointing a weapon at someone in another vehicle.
- 52 percent: Drowsy driving was also noted as a major concern for other drivers. Fatigue may include falling asleep behind the wheel at its most extreme to problems focusing, daydreaming and drifting outside the lane.
- 41 percent: Teenage drivers lack of experience and reckless behaviors exhibited by some teens is a well known concern.
Bad Weather and Road Hazards
Some drivers had other concerns outside of driver behavior. These included:
- 44 percent: Bad weather conditions such as ice, snow, rain, and fog were a concern because of the lack of visibility and slippery road conditions.
- 36 percent: This percentage responded that driverless vehicles were a concern on the road.
- 30 percent: Bad road conditions due to a lack of or poor maintenance were cited by some drivers in the NSC poll as causing a hazard while driving.
Why You Need an Experienced Attorney
Many accidents in California are caused by the negligence of another person. The one thing they have in common is that they can result in high medical bills, lost time from work and other financial hardships. Major law firms have the ability to investigate the accident that caused your injury, gather evidence and employ accident reconstructionists or expert witnesses to support your claim. By building a strong case, the injured person can concentrate on getting better without financial worries.
Natomas Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Natomas car accident lawyer. One of the reasons for safety checks by local police is to locate drivers who present a hazard to others on the road. If you or your family member was injured by a negligent driver or another hazard, I can offer you friendly advice, free of charge. Call me at (916) 921-6400 if you live in this area code or (800) 404-5400 if you are outside the calling area.
In over 35 years as a California injury lawyer, I’ve assisted many Natomas residents, along with other injured citizens of Northern California, to obtain compensation for their injuries, including brain injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes and wrongful deaths.
As a member in good standing of Million Dollar Advocates, I join other top trial attorneys around the country with a record of million-dollar verdicts or settlements for their clients.
Visit the following pages for information on some of my prior cases and comments made by clients:
While you are on the website I own and founded, AutoAccident.com, feel free to look over information on the different types of personal injuries and read the latest blogs on accidents.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/people-girl-driving-car-road-2561226/
:cd [cs 730] cv