Hit and Run Fatally Injures Tracy Teen
I’m Ed Smith, a Tracy personal injury lawyer. A group of four friends had been walking together in Tracy during the early morning of Saturday, April 21, 2018. As they walked southbound along MacArthur Road near Schulte Road one of the members, a 15-year-old girl of Tracy, was struck by an oncoming vehicle. The car reportedly continued southbound along MacArthur Avenue without rendering aid to the injured party. When officers from the Tracy Police Department arrived at the scene, they discovered the teen lying near the Tracy Cemetery. Sadly, the girl was pronounced deceased at the scene due to the severity of her injuries.
I would like to extend my thoughts and condolences to the grieving friends and family of the young girl who passed away in this tragedy.
What Caused the Accident?
A cause of the pedestrian accident has not yet been decided by officials due to a pending investigation. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying the driver involved in the hit and run accident. The suspect vehicle is described as a late model four-door sedan that may be missing a side-view mirror along with front-end damage.
Driver error is the top reason for most pedestrian accidents. This is often caused by:
- Distracted Driving: This involves any activity that diverts the attention of a driver from the road, which usually includes texting and driving. This dangerous driving habit claimed the lives of 3,450 parties in 2016 alone, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Driving While Intoxicated: A primary cause of traffic accidents is drunk driving. When the necessary skills to driving, including coordination, reaction time and thinking, are impaired by alcohol consumption, it can lead to a pedestrian accident.
- Failing to Yield the Right of Way to a Pedestrian: Motorists are obligated to exercise due care and yield to pedestrians at intersections and crosswalks.
- Not Signaling: A pedestrian may be given the false impression that a car is proceeding straight through an intersection when a motorist fails to use their signal before turning.
- Speeding: When motorists fail to drive more slowly in the presence of pedestrians, particularly in school zones or near residential areas, a collision with a pedestrian is likely to occur due to increased stopping distance and reduction in driver’s reaction time.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
When a pedestrian accident results in wrongful death, relatives under the California Code of Civil Procedure 377.60 may file a claim for financial restitution. A wrongful death claim may compensate an individual directly related to the decedent for the following damages:
- Costs of burial and funeral
- Loss of inheritance, future financial support, and household services
- Medical expenses
- Punitive damages, if the victim was fatally injured as a result of a felony homicide
Family members of the decedent have up to two years to file a claim under the statute of limitations in California. Filing such claims can be extremely stressful and emotionally draining without the assistance of an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Tracy. A seasoned attorney can help in gathering evidence to build a strong case for adequate compensation.
Loved One Forever Remembered
The young girl was a cherished member of her family. She leaves behind devastated loved ones who will forever remember her for her vibrant and caring soul. A GoFundMe page has been created to help the family with the expenses associated with this tragic loss of life.
Tracy Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Tracy personal injury lawyer. Traffic accidents are often the cause of traumatic injury or wrongful death. If you or a family member has suffered severe trauma from an accident, please call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-400 for free and friendly legal advice.
Read ratings by my former clients at:
I have been inducted into the Million Dollar Advocates as a California member because I have settled and won cases worth over one million dollars for my clients.
A list and detailed summaries of my past cases are available for your convenience on my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photograph Credit: By “Kat Jayne” via Pexels
: ds [cs 711] cv