Hit and Run Driver Strikes Pedestrian in Front of Hospital
A hit and run injury was reported on November 9 in front of Kaiser North Hospital in Arden Arcade when an individual was run over by a vehicle. The incident occurred around 6:00 in the evening, as reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The pedestrian was reported to have suffered major injuries in the accident. A witness to the collision said that the pedestrian was lying in the road when the accident happened. The walker was transported to Mercy San Juan Hospital for evaluation and medical treatment. The CHP will be investigating the accident to locate the fleeing driver and determine how it happened.
Hit and Run Drivers
Unfortunately, there are more hit and run accidents in the Sacramento area. Pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists are all at risk. Drivers are obligated to stop and exchange information or help an injured party even if they did not cause the accident. Penalties are steep, and jail time can be involved depending on the seriousness of the accident. Yet drivers continue to do this. Some of the reasons may be:
- The fleeing driver may be afraid of being blamed for the accident.
- They may also not have insurance and be fearful of the repercussions.
- The driver may be impaired by drugs or alcohol and fearful of being arrested.
- In some cases, the motorist who fled may lack a sense of responsibility.
Whatever the reason, the act of fleeing after an accident is illegal.
Who Pays for the Damages
One of the most common questions my clients ask is who will pay for the damages in a hit and run accident. There are several options that work under these circumstances:
- The fleeing driver will be apprehended, and they or their insurance company will pay.
- The hit and run driver is not apprehended. This might be worrisome, but the injured party has the option of using their own insurance. All California insurance companies are required to offer clients uninsured, underinsured coverage. This is an add-on to their policy and can be refused by the motorist as long as they sign a waiver. However, many drivers choose this option, and it will cover the driver and any other family member in the car, whether it was a pedestrian, bicycle, or traffic collision. When a driver does not carry this coverage, they can still receive damages through it if a family member in their home has uninsured motorist protection. Fortunately, the injured party or their family member will not see an increase in their premiums.
Our firm will work with police to apprehend the hit and run driver. When this is not possible, we will help our client obtain the damages they deserve through the use of another venue.
What an Attorney Can Do to Help After a Hit and Run Accident
At our firm, we understand the worry injured people have after an accident. Not only do they wish to recover physically, but they also need to know they will not slip into financial ruin because of another person’s negligence. Once we are on board, we send our investigative team to the scene of the accident. The investigators interview witnesses to the crash and check for traffic video footage or that found at nearby stores and taken by witnesses. We question the witnesses about telltale marks that can be used to identify the vehicle and a description of the driver. Our investigators also use accident reconstruction techniques. Once all the information is amassed, we send it to our legal team to help build a strong case for compensation.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. I can help if you have been in a hit and run accident. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. I can also be reached online by using our convenient contact form.
I am pleased to belong to the following organizations:
Learn more about my firm at the following links:
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/auto-automobile-blur-buildings-532001/
:cd llo [cs 715]