Serious Accident at Watt Ave. and Elkhorn Blvd. in North Highlands
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands car accident lawyer. A head-on collision on June 9, 2018, resulted in an injury at a busy Watt Avenue intersection. Both of the vehicles involved in the crash sustained damage to their front ends, one of them severe. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), emergency medical personnel were summoned to the scene of the crash to attend to injuries, and a tow truck was called for the removal of at least one of the vehicles.
The collision happened at the intersection of Watt Avenue and Elkhorn Boulevard just before noon when a Toyota Prius and Chevy Tahoe collided. The intersection was blocked while the vehicles and debris from the accident were removed, and emergency personnel arrived to evaluate the injuries. Information on the number of people hurt or the extent of their injuries has not yet been released.
According to Federal Highway Administration statistics, half of all injuries and fatalities from motor vehicle accidents happen at intersections. In areas where paths are crossed, from motor vehicles to pedestrians, intersections are a high source of danger because traffic is merging from different directions. Strategies used to combat the risks of intersections include changes in design and engineering, along with traffic control devices, bike lanes, and pedestrian crossing lights.
The Different Kinds of Intersection Accidents
Because several roads intersect at the same location, there is always a risk of an accident. Some of the different types of car accidents are as follows:
- Head-on collisions can occur when one vehicle is going straight and another is approaching the intersection to make a turn.
- T-bone or broadside accidents happen when one vehicle runs a stop sign or a red light and crashes into cross traffic at the intersection.
- Rear-end collisions occur when a driver becomes distracted and doesn’t realize the vehicle in front has stopped.
- Sideswipe collisions happen commonly when two lanes of traffic are making a turn and one crosses into the other lane.
- Bicycle riders and pedestrians can be struck when legally crossing the street because the driver of a motor vehicle is negligent in watching for them.
Ways to Stay Safe From Intersection Accidents
There are ways to stay safe from intersection accidents and the serious injuries they cause. By adhering to the following suggestions, a driver may be able to decrease the risk of having an intersection accident:
- If your area permits turning right at a red light, it is important to not only leave enough room if there is a vehicle in front but to wait and make sure the lead car finishes his or her turn. Not doing this can lead to a rear-end collision.
- Don’t change lanes in an intersection. This can cause a problem when another vehicle is doing the same thing and results in a sideswipe accident.
- Cross traffic in any intersection poses a problem. This can happen even if you legitimately have the right-of-way.
- Beware of others using the intersection such as pedestrians and cyclists.
- Traffic lights can and do break down. When this happens, motorists need to behave as if they are at a four-way stop.
Related Article by North Highlands Car Accident Lawyer Ed Smith
North Highlands Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands car accident lawyer. When an intersection car accident happens, you need the assistance of an experienced attorney. Reach out to me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for friendly advice that is free of charge. You can contact me online too.
I’ve helped numerous residents in North Highlands and the wider Northern California area to obtain the compensation they need in serious accidents, including traumatic brain injury.
You should learn about a lawyer’s practice before retaining them. Learn about mine by looking at previous client reviews and how I resolved other cases on the following pages:
I belong to the Million Dollars Advocates, a group of trial attorneys who have negotiated settlements or won verdicts in excess of $1 million for past clients.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-roadway-cross-between-buildings-922690/
:cd llo [cs 728] cv