Head Injury in Madison Avenue Crash in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. One individual was injured in a May 20 traffic accident along Madison Avenue eastbound in North Sacramento. Two vehicles were involved in the collision. A tow truck had to be called because one of the cars was so severely damaged it could not be moved.
The crash occurred shortly after 8:00 in the evening just west of San Juan Avenue when a grey Jeep Compass and black Ford Focus collided. According to a report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), one of the vehicle occupants was complaining of pain in the head and suffered abrasions from the crash. No further information has yet been released on the extent of the injury or whether the individual was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Head Injuries in a Motor Vehicle Accident
Head injuries are common in a motor vehicle accident and, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, account for about 30 percent of all traffic fatalities. Caused by a jolt, blow or bump on the head, they interfere with the normal function of the brain. Following are the major types of injuries to the head:
- Concussion: This type of brain injury is normally temporary, causing headaches and difficulty with concentration, balance, memory or coordination.
- Hemorrhage: Bleeding can be inside of the skull or inside the brain itself. Vomiting and headaches are common signs. Hemorrhages are dangerous because they can cause a buildup of pressure inside the skull. Hemorrhage may indicate traumatic brain injury, which requires skilled medical attention and may leave the individual with a permanent disability.
- Fracture of the skull: Skull fractures can occur with or without damage to the brain. Bruising of the face and bleeding from the nose or ears, along with swelling or tenderness can indicate a fractured skull. Other symptoms may include blurred vision, pupils that do not react to light, lack of balance and confusion.
- Edema or brain swelling: Swelling of the brain is a serious injury that can be caused by a motor vehicle accident. Because the skull does not expand with the swelling, it can place an injured person in danger of traumatic results or death.
- Diffuse axonal injury: This serious injury is caused when the brain suddenly shifts inside the skull and is a common result of a car accident. When the brain shifts, it sheers off connecting fibers called axons. This type of injury is one of the most serious causes of damage to the brain, often resulting in coma or a loss of consciousness. Symptoms, when the individual awakens, can include confusion, headache, sleep problems, nausea and vomiting, and dizziness or a loss of balance. Those with a diffuse axonal type of brain injury may be helped through intensive therapy if the injury is mild. No treatments are available for those with serious injuries, which may leave the individual in a vegetative state.
Obtaining Compensation for a Head Injury
Head injuries may occur as a result of many types of motor vehicle accidents. The severity of the injury can indicate whether the individual will return to normal or face long-term medical care and hospitalization. An experienced personal injury lawyer can assist you by helping obtain the fair compensation you need and deserve to pay medical bills, pain and suffering and lost time from work.
Sacramento Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. Head injuries are often a result of motor vehicle accidents and can be serious, requiring extensive medical treatment. If you or someone you care about suffered a head injury because of a negligent driver, I can offer you free, friendly advice. Please give me a phone call at (916) 921-6400 or on my long-distance line at (800) 404-5400.
I belong to Million Dollar Advocates as a California member. This group is composed of trial lawyers who have obtained verdicts/settlements exceeding one million dollars for their clients.
At Settlements and Verdicts, you can look over how priatlients have been helped by my law firm.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/car-accident-broken-glass-splatter-337764/
:cd bw [cs 747 *fb] cv