Grieving When a Loved One Dies
Anyone who has ever experienced a death in the family in Fresno understands the overwhelming grief that comes along with that loss. When the death was because of a negligent person or entity, it can be even worse as the family members struggle with feelings of disbelief, shock and sorrow. If you suffer the death of a family member that someone else caused, my office stands by to help you obtain personal injury compensation for that terrible loss.
Helping a Family That is Grieving
People are often at a loss when a friend or other family member loses a loved one because they don’t know what to say or do. Grief is complex and can involve a series of stages. There is no timeline for when someone will be able to pick up their life and continue on. Following are a few ideas that may help when someone is going through the grieving process:
- Being there for a family in their time of need is important to help them get through the process until they are ready to go on with their lives. Calling on the phone and visiting is a good idea. If visiting, call in advance to ensure you are not disturbing them.
- If you live some distance away, send a sympathy card or flowers. This lets the family know that you are thinking about them.
- Offer to drive if the person does not have a vehicle and needs to run errands. You can also offer to take children to school or other activities.
- If you are visiting, look around for small ways you can help, such as cutting the lawn, weeding the garden, washing dishes or other tasks.
- When someone is deep in grief, they forget to eat and aren’t inclined to cook. You can pick up food at a restaurant, offer to prepare a meal, or just bring over a casserole or prepared sandwiches.
- If the grieving person is an adult on their own, offer to accompany them to make the funeral and burial arrangements. They may want someone else’s opinion, and it’s always good for them to have someone there for emotional support.
- Remember that grief doesn’t stop following the funeral. Call and visit when you can and continue to be supportive and helpful afterward. That’s what friends are for.
In the following video, Fresno wrongful death lawyer Ed Smith explains how fault is proved to support a claim:
How My Office Can Help
To obtain compensation following the loss of a loved one, it must be proved that a wrongful death occurred. In other words, the lawyer must show that a negligent party or entity caused the death. We send out our investigators to the accident site right away to gather evidence to support your family’s claim. It begins by examining the police report to ensure accuracy and talking to the witnesses. In a traffic collision, the investigators seek video footage from nearby business and traffic cameras and perform accident reconstruction. This shows how the vehicles were positioned before the accident and how it occurred. When all the evidence is compiled, our lawyers use it to build a case that favors our client. Evidence can be used when negotiating with the insurance company on our client’s behalf or in building a case to present in court.
Fresno Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Fresno wrongful death attorney. When a loved one died as a result of a wrongful death, the family is entitled to place a claim for compensation. If you would like my free and friendly advice, you can connect with me at (559) 377-7676 or (800) 404-5400. Others prefer to get in touch with me by filling out the online form.
It has been my honor to have represented Fresno residents in getting compensation for their personal injury claims for more than 38 years. From traffic accidents and serious injuries to wrongful deaths and government claims, I’ve helped many people over the years.
As a Million Dollar Advocates member, I join lawyers who have obtained compensation amounting to more than $1 million for a former client. In addition, I belong to the National Association of Distinguished Counsel, where membership is awarded only to attorneys who display the highest excellence in their practices.
Client reviews and a list of cases handled in the past by my law firm can be found below:
Photo Attribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay1K9_lQ2N0&feature=youtu.be; https://pixabay.com/photos/cementerio-flor-cemetery-death-948048/
:cd llo [cs 744]