Vehicle Causes Death of Bicycle Rider in Galt
A bicycle rider in Galt died on January 29 after being struck by a vehicle on East Stockton Boulevard near the intersection with Live Oak Avenue. Officials with the Galt Police Department reported that the accident happened at about 7:00 in the evening. The bicyclist died at the scene of the accident. He was identified as a Galt resident, age 34. The man’s identity has not yet been released, pending notification of the next of kin. The driver of the vehicle that struck the bicycle rider remained at the crash site and was reported as cooperating with local police in their investigation.
Losing a Loved One Unexpectedly
Losing a loved one is a traumatic experience. Losing them due to the negligent act of another can compound the grief and anguish that results. Many times, the bereaved seems inconsolable. That is to be expected when you understand that their world has fallen apart. There are things that close friends and other family members can do to help:
- Choose your words: Think about what you are saying. For example, avoid saying things like it was for the best. Understand that the grieving person is more sensitive and might react negatively to this type of comment.
- Don’t be afraid of talking about the person: It’s alright to call the deceased by name. In fact, it may be comforting to the bereaved.
- Provide hope: Many times, people just need to know you are there for them. Let the bereaved know you will help them through this difficult time and that in small ways, things will improve. Let them know they can call on you.
- Don’t put the burden of calling on them: It’s common to hear someone tell the bereaved to call if they need anything. Recognize that it is just one more thing for them to do. Instead, check-in with them on a regular basis to see how things are going. Take that opportunity to ask if they need something from the store or would like company. Look around – if something needs to be done, pitch in and do it. Small things are usually more helpful than you might imagine.
- Offer a listening ear: It’s best to just let the individual speak unfettered. Unless asked for, offering advice is unnecessary.
Bicycle Rider Deaths
The number of bicyclists killed in 2018 is approximately 7 percent greater than the previous year. This increase is a direct result of increasing numbers of bicyclists coupled with driver error. Some common reasons for bicycle rider fatalities are:
- Failure to yield: Often, drivers fail to yield for a bicyclist. This can be due to the bicyclist’s lack of conspicuity. Motorists are obligated to be aware of what is going on around them.
- Driver inattention: Distraction is becoming a major problem. This includes talking and texting on the phone as well as eating and daydreaming.
- Poorly maintained roads: Approximately 13 percent of all bicycle accidents are due to poorly maintained roads, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If the government agency in charge of repairs and maintenance fails to provide upkeep, a lawsuit can be filed against the state or city. It is important to remember that this type of claim must be filed using a specific time limit. Your attorney will ensure that this is done properly.
Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
While filing a lawsuit after a loved one’s death will not ease the grief and loneliness you feel, it can lessen the financial burden associated with their demise. A wrongful death lawsuit helps by paying for funeral and burial costs, loss of wages in the present and future, loss of benefits such as retirement funds, and needed costs to hire outside help. Personal and emotional loss is also included. Your attorney will guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have. Your attorney will also investigate the accident to prove liability. At our firm, we send our investigators to the accident scene. There, they gather evidence and obtain footage from video cameras on traffic lights and nearby businesses. Once witnesses have been interviewed and police reports examined for errors, the information is turned over to our legal team, who build a strong case against the defendant.
Galt Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Galt wrongful death lawyer. Phone me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice if you’ve lost a loved one due to negligence. You can also reach out to me online if that is easier for you.
Learn more about my practice on the following pages:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/candle-light-candlelight-flame-2038736/
:cd llo [cs 824]