Driver Dies After Striking Pole on Highway 50
A fatality accident was reported near Folsom on December 16 when the driver’s vehicle hit a pole. The accident happened on Highway 50 close to Prairie City Road around 7:15 in the evening. The sedan apparently veered off the road onto an embankment and then hit the pole as a result.
Fatality Accident Under Investigation to Determine Cause
The activity log by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said that the Sacramento County Coroner was called to the scene to declare one individual dead in the accident. The identification of that individual will not be released until the family has been notified. The fatality accident is under investigation by the CHP to discover how the deadly collision happened.
Recovering Damages After the Loss of a Family Member
When a loved one dies due to negligence by another individual or entity, the family may place a wrongful death claim. In the case of a fatality accident involving only one vehicle, it is usually driver error that is the cause. However, other factors may be to blame, such as:
- Defect in the auto: When a vehicle’s brakes, tires, steering, or accelerator is defective, it can result in a fatality accident. When a collision occurs, the vehicle should be retained, so it can be examined. If it is discovered that a defective part was the reason for the fatality accident, a claim for compensation may be placed by the family. This is done by filing an auto product liability claim against the manufacturer.
- Roadway neglect: When problems are present in a roadway that are a factor in the reason for the fatality accident, the surviving immediate family members or representative of the estate may place a claim against the government entity in charge. Reasons that roadway neglect can lead to a fatality accident include poor overhead lighting, oil on the roadway, potholes, weak or old guardrails, and others. Investigators in our firm take this into consideration when investigating the site of the accident. They also look for traffic camera footage of the collision, interview the witnesses and perform accident reconstruction to understand how the collision occurred.
- Fleeing drivers: In some cases, a fatality accident can occur due to a hit-and-run or aggressive driver. A lawyer can investigate the case to determine if another driver was present and forced someone off the road, struck them, or caused them to lose control of their vehicle. When the driver is located, a wrongful death claim can be placed to hold them responsible.
Recoverable Damages in a Fatality Accident Caused by Negligence
Either the administrator of the deceased’s estate or immediate family may place a claim for wrongful death, and an injury lawyer can help. Some of the areas in which compensation may be sought include:
- Funeral and burial expenses can be recovered.
- Lost wages and other perks of the job until the decedent’s age of retirement are recoverable.
- A spouse can claim loss of consortium, emotional support, and other losses caused by the death.
- Children in the family may claim loss of guidance and nurturing the decedent provided.
- Loss of inheritance may be recoverable.
- Loss of household services such as mowing the lawn, taking care of the children, tax preparation, and others can be recovered.
Wrongful Death Lawyers in Folsom
I am Ed Smith, a wrongful death lawyer in Folsom. When your loved one was taken from you by someone else’s negligent actions, you may be able to recover compensation. Call us at (916) 921-6400 for our free and friendly advice about filing a wrongful death claim. You can contact us also at (800) 404-5400 or by using the online contact form.
Learn more about how my team of injury lawyers has helped others by visiting the following links:
We are honored to have been chosen as members of:
Since 1982, we have helped many Folsom residents, as well as other Northern Californians, in obtaining the compensation they deserve for all varieties of traffic accidents and wrongful death cases.
:cd llo