Fatal Collision in Elk Grove Big Rig Accident
An Elk Grove fatal collision occurred on December 19 along Highway 99 shortly before 3:30 in the morning when a single-vehicle accident turned even worse. According to authorities, a man driving a Buick SUV experienced a single-vehicle accident against the center median that left his vehicle sideways on the roadway, where it was then struck by a semi. Authorities determined that the driver either got out of the vehicle or was thrown out when he was struck by a second semi. Unfortunately, the SUV driver died at the scene of the crash. I want to offer my prayers and sympathy to those close to the driver and their family in their time of sorrow and loss.
Details of the Fatal Collision
The CHP spent hours investigating and making measurements at the accident scene to determine how the crash occurred. Northbound Highway 99 remained closed for almost one hour. Officials directed traffic to the center median to open one lane. All lanes reopened shortly before 6:00 in the morning. It is thought by authorities that speed may have been a factor in the fatal collision.
Accidents at Highway Speeds
One of the dangers of a crash along roads with highway speeds is that additional vehicles may become involved when they either don’t see the danger in time or fail to react fast enough. Because accidents of this type can be complicated, enlisting the aid of an experienced injury lawyer is helpful. The attorney can conduct their own investigation to determine fault by using existing evidence, along with crash reconstruction and expert witnesses. In this way, the family of the individual who died in the collision can present a strong case for compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Accidents With Big Rigs
A fatal collision with a big rig is not uncommon and causes around 5,000 deaths to those in passenger vehicles yearly. Truckers, just as other motorists, are expected to take their responsibilities seriously to avoid causing a fatality or injuries to others. When they fail in this duty of care, the injured person or family of a lost loved one can seek financial compensation through a wrongful death claim. Some examples of negligence exhibited by truckers that could result in an accident include:
- Speeding: There are times when truck drivers speed to stay ahead of their schedules or to make deliveries on time. This can cause a driver to lose control and cause an accident.
- Poor truck maintenance: Drivers of big rigs must do an inspection of the truck every time they are planning to go out on the road. Failure to report and take care of problems, which might cause a delay in leaving, can lead to an accident. This is especially true if brakes, steering and other important issues are ignored. Faulty parts can cause a fatal collision also, which can be addressed through an auto products liability lawsuit.
- Distracted driving: Driving while distracted may prevent a motorist from seeing a problem up ahead.
- Poor training: A driver who has been inadequately trained may cause a collision through inexperience.
- Driver fatigue: Truckers work long hours and can become bored or overly tired while behind the wheel of a big rig. Drowsy combined with inattention and boredom can lead to a serious collision.
Elk Grove Wrongful Death Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove wrongful death lawyer. Losing a loved one is a heartbreaking experience and even more so when the death could have been avoided. If your family has lost a loved one because of the negligent actions of another driver, I can offer you compassionate, free and friendly advice. Just phone me at (916) 694-0002 locally or (800) 404-5400 if you are calling long-distance. An online contact form is also available.
Among the groups I belong to is the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum designed to represent trial lawyers who have all won a settlement/verdict for a client of more than one million dollars.
I have been working as an Elk Grove injury lawyer for 36 years, defending the rights of its citizens to fair compensation, as well as other Northern Californians, in all kinds of car accidents and traumas such as brain injuries.
Having information about a law practice can be helpful when deciding who to call for advice. You can see client reviews and comments, along with some of our prior cases and how they concluded, at the following links:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_11765047_l-2015
:cd llo/bw [cs 765] cv