Fatal Car Accident on I-680 in Concord Area
Officials reported a fatal car accident on I-680 in the Concord area on the early morning of Monday, January 31, 2022. The traffic collision took place shortly before 4:30 a.m. along the northbound lanes of Interstate 680 near Concord Avenue.
Details on the Fatal Car Accident on I-680 in the Concord Area
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) received a report of a single-vehicle accident involving a car that reportedly veered off the roadway and crashed into a ditch. CHP traffic officers responding to the scene located the vehicle that was later fully engulfed in flames following the collision.
Sadly, the driver of the vehicle was declared deceased at the scene. Officials have identified the decedent as Andres Sampayo Guerrero, 36, of Fairfield. Additional information on the car accident in Concord was not immediately available.
Wrongful Death Claims and Single-Vehicle Accidents
The loss of a close relative in a motor vehicle collision is a devastating and heartbreaking experience. While no amount of money may undo the pain of losing a family member or bring them back, it is believed that holding the at-fault party financially accountable for the harm their actions have caused may provide surviving family members with the sense of closure they need to move forward. This may be possible through a wrongful death claim brought against the negligent party. In the case of a fatal single-vehicle accident, driver error is not always the root cause and may be the result of negligence on the part of another party or entity. This may include but is not limited to:
- Auto Manufacturer: When faulty vehicle parts and equipment have been found to play a role in a single-vehicle crash resulting in fatal injuries, an auto products liability claim may be filed against the automaker for damages incurred. Before this process may be carried out, the car in question must be kept and preserved for an experienced wrongful death attorney to examine with their team of investigators. An independent investigation may be invaluable in determining whether the vehicle defect was the root cause of the fatal incident.
- Government Entity: A road defect may be a contributing factor to a fatal single-vehicle accident. When this has been proven through clear and compelling evidence, a notice of claim may be brought against the government entity responsible for the design and maintenance of that specific roadway. Keep in mind that a six-month statute of limitations generally applies to these cases, as outlined in California Government Code Section 911.2.
At our law firm, we have decades of experience handling wrongful death matters from a wide array of accidents. Learn more about us by watching this video.
What Types of Damages are Recoverable in a Wrongful Death Claim?
Specific economic and non-economic damages may be available to survivors when a wrongful death claim is brought forward. Some of the damages that may be recovered include:
- Anticipated loss of future earnings that would have been provided to the household if not for the fatal car accident
- Expenses paid for by the surviving family member due to the loss of their loved one, such as end-of-life medical treatment (recoverable through a survival action) and funeral services
- Loss of affection, care, companionship, and protection from the decedent
- Mental anguish from the sudden loss of a close relative in an accident
Under the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 377.60, specific family members may have priority when it comes to filing a wrongful death lawsuit. In most cases, these relatives may include the surviving children, domestic partner, or spouse. If such parties are non-existent, other family members may be eligible to bring a civil case forward. To determine your eligibility, reach out to an experienced accident attorney today.
Wrongful Death Attorney in Concord
I’m Ed Smith, a Concord wrongful death attorney. When dealing with the sudden and unexpected loss of a close relative, surviving family members are often faced with immense grief and loss. It is understandable that it is challenging to consider taking legal action all while mourning the loss of a loved one and adjusting to a new life without them by your side. However, retaining legal counsel immediately after the incident is often crucial to a successful outcome in a wrongful death matter. Since the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the fatal crash and often shortened to 180 days if a government entity is involved, it is essential to hire an experienced accident attorney right away to ensure all filing deadlines are met accordingly. If you lost someone you love in a motor vehicle collision in Concord or elsewhere in Contra Costa County, please give our law firm a call today to arrange a meeting with one of our experienced attorneys at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400. We are available anytime to meet you and your family and provide free, friendly case advice.
For additional information about our team of injury lawyers, visit the following links:
At AutoAccident.com, we are proudly featured as California members of these groups:
Photo Source: Pexels User “JamesLee”
:ds llo [cs 884]