Accident on Cordelia Road Causes Bicyclist Fatality
A bicyclist fatality occurred in Fairfield on December 28 after the rider was hit by a vehicle. The collision, according to the Fairfield Police Department, happened along Cordelia Road at about 5:20 p.m. A stretch of the roadway between Pennsylvania and Beck avenues was closed down for authorities to conduct an investigation. Fairfield police reported that a man, age 46, and driving a Chevy Silverado, was arrested in the incident.
Hit-and-Run Driver Arrested in Fatality Accident
The driver reportedly struck the bicyclist and headed toward Suisun City, where he hit a vehicle. He is allegedly facing a charge of second-degree murder in the incident as well as DUI, weapons charges and fleeing the scene of an injury or death. The driver was charged with DUI three times previously and is not allowed to own a weapon.
Having to Deal With the Loss of a Loved One
An unexpected bicyclist fatality caused by a negligent driver is heartbreaking for those who lost their loved one. The family members are often confused and angry and wonder why such a terrible thing had to happen to the one they loved. When the decedent contributed to the family finances, financial stress is the last thing on their minds.
Should Your Family File a Wrongful Death Claim?
The family members cannot only recover financial losses after a bicyclist fatality accident, but they can also get closure and justice by filing a wrongful death claim. As a law firm serving Fairfield and Northern California for decades, we have helped countless families during this difficult time.
Compensation for Wrongful Death
If negligence by another caused a loved one’s death, California law allows a grieving family to recover just damages. The following are included:
- You can recover the costs of the funeral and burial for your loved one.
- It is possible to recover the decedent’s income and the pension and insurance benefits, bonuses, tips and other perks he or she would have received during their lifetime.
- The decedent provided services such as childcare, lawn care and auto maintenance, along with other duties at home that may be recouped.
- The surviving spouse or partner may be entitled to compensation for their loss of consortium, love and affection.
- If the estate had grown over the years and the decedent left a will naming beneficiaries, the loss of inheritance may be recovered in some cases.
- The children can recover compensation for the loss of guidance, encouragement and moral support they suffered by the loss of a parent. This recovery includes adopted children and stepchildren or others who obtained at least half of their support from the decedent.
The Assistance of an Injury Lawyer
When a loved one passes away in a bicyclist fatality accident due to someone else’s negligence or intentional harm, it can be emotionally overwhelming. Working with an experienced wrongful death lawyer who understands the law and knows how to handle your case can give you peace of mind during this difficult time. Wrongful death claims involve complex legal issues that require careful consideration and experienced legal counsel. A lawyer can help you seek justice and compensation for your losses.
Your accident attorney will investigate the facts of your case and review all relevant evidence to build a strong claim. Your lawyer will also file documents, handle negotiations with the insurance company and represent you in civil court if necessary. Your attorney will be available to answer any questions you may have throughout the legal process.
Fairfield Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, and I’m a Fairfield wrongful death lawyer. Your family may want to file a wrongful death claim when your loved one died because of someone else’s negligence to obtain justice. For free and friendly legal advice from our injury lawyers in Solano County, call (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400. You also have the option of contacting us online.
Our membership in the following groups is an honor:
Throughout the years, our Fairfield injury lawyers have helped many people obtain the compensation they deserve following an accident. Below are some examples of our work:
:cd llo