Fair Oaks Boulevard Intersection Site of Pedestrian Injury Accident
A pedestrian injury accident caused by a collision with a vehicle occurred in Fair Oaks on February 9. The crash happened at the intersection of Fair Oaks Boulevard and Madison Avenue around 4:47 p.m. Sacramento Fire Department first responders arrived at the scene to assess injuries to the pedestrian, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) incident report.
Injured Pedestrian Hospitalized Following Intersection Accident
The injured pedestrian was transported to Mercy San Juan Medical Center for evaluation and treatment. The vehicle that struck the walker, a Ford Edge, was moved into the parking lot at the Almond Orchard Shopping Center. The driver remained at the scene and cooperated with authorities in the investigation into the cause of the accident.
Accidents Involving Pedestrians and Their Causes
Accidents involving pedestrians are commonly caused by the following factors:
- Speed: About 10 percent of motor vehicle accidents with pedestrians when the driver is going around 30 mph will cause a fatality. The higher the speed and the more likely a fatality will occur if a pedestrian accident happens.
- Running a red light or stop sign: Around half of pedestrian deaths in motor vehicle accidents in 2018 were caused by red-light runners.
- Driver distraction: Driver distraction ranked third among the causes of pedestrian injury accidents in 2018. Cell phones or texting, as well as the use of other electronic devices accounted for most of the distractions.
- Intoxication: The number of pedestrians killed in 2018 was 15 percent due to drunk drivers. The percentage of pedestrians who were intoxicated themselves was even higher.
- After-dark accidents: 74 percent of pedestrian deaths occur at night when drivers are out after dark. A national study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that 26 percent of pedestrian deaths occurred from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. The remaining 24 percent occurred between 9:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m.
Accident Injuries Suffered by Pedestrians
A pedestrian injury accident is often serious when they are involved in a collision with a motor vehicle because they lack any protection. There is a possibility that you will receive an ambulance bill, be hospitalized, undergo surgery and tests and be out of work for a time. This causes a financial and emotional drain on the pedestrian due to lost wages, financial losses and pain and suffering. By filing a personal injury lawsuit, an injured party can recover these financial damages, so he or she can focus solely on recovery. Common injuries include:
- A pedestrian’s head, neck or face is injured nearly 40 percent of the time. Among these injuries are skull or jaw fractures and traumatic brain injuries.
- Lower extremity injuries: Vehicle strikes often hit pedestrians in the lower extremities, causing damage to their legs. Bone fractures and other trauma can result.
- Upper extremity injuries: A vehicle’s impact or being thrown in a pedestrian injury accident can cause trauma to the upper extremities. These injuries can range from fractures to lacerations and other kinds of trauma.
Fair Oaks Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Fair Oaks personal injury lawyer. The consequences of pedestrian injuries can be severe, including expensive medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The pedestrian may be able to file a claim for damages if the injury was caused by a negligent driver or entity. We can provide you with free, friendly advice by calling (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. If you are interested in contacting us online, please message us.
The following links offer information about how the injury lawyers in our firm have assisted others:
We are honored to be members of the following:
:cd llo