Accident on the Twin Cities Road Off-Ramp Caused by Big Rig
A semi accident on an Elk Grove highway off-ramp on September 13 caused problems for local drivers. The accident was reported at around 7:00 a.m. on the Twin Cities Road off-ramp just west of Interstate 5 when a semi pulling a double trailer crashed into a power pole, knocking it down across the roadway. In addition, one of the trailers being pulled by the semi became detached and overturned, blocking the eastbound lanes, according to the police report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Traffic Affected by Overturned Trailer and Downed Electric Pole
A repair unit with the Sacramento Municipal Utility District was called to the accident site to take care of the downed power pole, which had sheared off at its base. It was not reported how long the roadway remained closed to traffic as the semi and road debris was cleared and the pole removed by SMUD workers. The CHP is determining how the semi accident occurred.
Tandem Trailers and a Semi Accident
Getting in an accident with a big rig is dangerous. A semi pulling a loaded trailer can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. When you start adding another trailer, it increases the instability of the vehicle, and the maximum weight can increase up to 147,000 pounds. The trailers are usually 48-feet long, so they stretch out more than 96 feet, not counting the cab portion.
When a vehicle is passing or following one of these huge trucks, it’s easy to see that becoming involved in an accident with one can be extremely dangerous. Causes of an accident can include:
- Distracted driving: Long hours on the highway can be tedious, especially for a truck driver. Scrolling on a cell phone, texting, changing the radio station, or reading the billboards as they pass by may ease that tedium but increase the risk of a semi accident.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving can include speeding, running a red light, tailgating, and other activities that endanger others. Because truck drivers usually have deadlines on cargo delivery, a traffic accident up ahead, weather conditions, and other factors can put them behind and cause them to take chances.
- Fatigue: Driving long hours can not only cause distraction but can result in extreme fatigue, despite mandated short rest breaks. Fatigue can lead to foggy thinking, reduced reflexes, lack of concentration, and nodding off behind the wheel. Any of those can cause a semi accident.
- Road damage caused by neglect: Roadway damage caused by government negligence, such as fissures, upheavals, and potholes, can cause a truck driver to lose control of their vehicle and crash. When it can be shown that the government entity was responsible for the semi accident, they can be held liable for any accident injuries or fatalities.
- Defective truck parts: Brakes that contain defects as well as tires or other parts of a truck can lead to a semi accident. The manufacturer can be held responsible in those cases by filing a product liability claim.
Over the years, the legal team at AutoAccident.com has helped many Elk Grove residents in obtaining the compensation they deserve after being injured by a big rig. By placing a claim for damages, the injured party can recover the cost of their medical expenses, unpaid wages from being unable to work, and for their pain and suffering.
Elk Grove Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove truck accident lawyer. Accidents that involve big rigs frequently result in severe injuries. If a negligent truck driver or company that employs them caused your injuries, you may want to find out about placing a compensation claim. Contact us at (916) 694-0002 or (800) for our free and friendly advice. We can be messaged online as well.
My legal team and I have helped many Elk Grove residents since 1982 to acquire fair compensation following injuries in a truck accident, all types of car collisions, claims involving wrongful deaths, and others.
Discover helpful information about our law firm at the following:
We’re proud members of:
Photo attribution: Image by Tim Hill from Pixabay
:cd llo