Drunk Driving Collision in Elk Grove
Drunk Driving Collision in Elk Grove. A reported drunk driving collision in Elk Grove during the early hours of August 27, a van pulling a trailer on Interstate 5 northbound was involved in an accident that claimed one life and injured six others. The collision occurred north of Lambert Road and approaching Hood Franklin at about 2:30 in the morning. An SUV traveling in the same direction as the van crashed into the trailer that was being pulled. According to a representative of the California Highway Patrol (CHP), both of the drivers of the two vehicles lost control. The CHP reported that the female driver of the SUV appeared to have been driving under the influence and was placed under arrest.
Drunk Driving Collision Details
Both vehicles lost control and ended up in the center divide. The collision caused the trailer being pulled by the van to swing around, ending up on its side, causing the van to turn over onto its roof. One individual was thrown out of the van, according to the CHP and died at the scene of the accident. Six other people riding in the van were injured and transported to hospitals in the area. Three of those persons were reported to have major injuries, while the others were described as having minor wounds. The individual who was thought to be responsible for the drunk driving collision, the driver of the Mazda SUV, was also taken to a hospital to be evaluated. She is to be booked into the county jail following her medical evaluation.
Drunk Driving Collisions
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, about 29 people die every day as a result of a drunk driving collision. In 2016, that meant that there was a fatality every 50 minutes due to a drunk driver, amounting to more than 10,000 deaths. Drunk drivers were also responsible for 28 percent of all traffic fatalities in 2016. Drunk driving is illegal and can result in severe penalties such as fines, jail time and loss of license. Although California takes a tough stance on driving impaired, including placing sobriety checkpoints, it continues to be a problem. Many of them are repeat offenders.
Watch YouTube Video ~ Drunk Driving Accident on Fair Oaks Boulevard in Carmichael. To further illustrate the dangers of drunk driving watch this local video about a menacing drunk driver in Carmichael, CA.
The Dangers of Drunk Driving
It is proven that driving while impaired affects a motorist’s ability to handle a vehicle. Some of the ways driving while drinking interferes with a motorist’s ability to safely handle a car include:
- Slowed reaction time: The human brain, when influenced by alcohol, takes longer to process information. This means it takes longer for a driver to react or stop when a drunk driving collision is looming.
- Reduced concentration: Driving safely requires steady concentration to control speed, remain within a lane and react to traffic signals and road signs as well as other cars. This reckless driving can lead to an accident.
- Decreased vision: Those who are inebriated may have problems with tracking, eye movement may be more difficult to control and blurriness occurs. This impairs seeing vehicles around you and judging distances.
- Poor coordination: Hand, eye and foot coordination are affected by alcohol consumption. Since those who have been drinking may have problems standing or walking a straight line, it isn’t improved by being behind the wheel of a vehicle.
- Reduced judgment: Being able to make a clear decision when on the road is important. A drunk driver is less likely to make sound decisions and is less aware of surrounding conditions.
Related Article by Elk Grove Car Accident Lawyer Ed Smith
Getting Help When You Are Injured
Being injured in a drunk driving collision frequently causes serious injuries and resulting medical expenses, time away from work and other costs. When a family member is lost due to a drunk driver, this can be regarded as a wrongful death. An experienced car accident lawyer can help by reviewing all the evidence and building a case for maximum compensation.
Elk Grove Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove car accident lawyer. If you or someone you love has been injured by a drunk driver, I am here to help. For free and friendly advice, please call (916) 694-0002 in Elk Grove. I can also be contacted at (800) 404-5400 throughout the rest of Northern California.
As a Million Dollar Forum member, I am honored to join other top trial lawyers around the country who have garnered a verdict or settlement for a client in excess of $1 million.
Learn more about how I have helped others with their accident injuries by visiting:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/drink-driving-drunk-alcohol-808790/
:cd llo [cs 766] cv