Driver Killed After Car Crash in North Stockton
One driver was killed, and four other parties were taken to the hospital after a recent car crash in north Stockton. The two-vehicle collision occurred in the area of Lane Ark Drive and Hammer Lane shortly before noon, according to the Stockton Police Department (Stockton PD). Officers responding to the scene found a driver of one of the cars had suffered fatal injuries. The decedent’s passenger and three parties in the other vehicle were all transported to a local hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. An update regarding the conditions of those hurt and the identity of the deceased driver was not immediately available.
Loss of a Loved One to a Fatal Auto Crash
When a loved one is lost in a fatal motor vehicle collision, the lives of their family members may be changed in the blink of an eye. A full recovery from the loss of a loved one may be impossible. There is nothing that can be done to bring them the opportunity to finish living their life and to take away the immense pain that has been caused.
As survivors look toward the future, it is essential to understand whether a wrongful death claim may be appropriate in their situation. The experienced Stockton wrongful death lawyers at AutoAccident.com will help answer any questions you may have and help guide you and your family through the process. We are prepared to provide your family with the compassionate and experienced representation you all need during this difficult time.
What Can Be Recovered in a Wrongful Death Case for a Fatal Car Crash in North Stockton?
In a California wrongful death claim, fair compensation may include the following economic and non-economic damages:
- Medical Bills: This includes any expenses for medical treatment a loved one has received as a result of the wrongful death car accident. These are generally recovered through a survival action.
- Funeral Expenses: Out of pocket costs of a loved one’s funeral and burial services may be recovered by the surviving family member who paid for them.
- Loss of Affection and Support: Survivors have suffered a significant loss of a loved one’s care and companionship, and they deserve to be compensated for that loss.
- Lost Wages: Any income or benefits that the decedent would have provided to the family if not for the fatal car crash may be claimed in a wrongful death lawsuit. This includes all lost wages from the time of the deadly incident until the decedent’s life expectancy has passed.
- Punitive Damages: In a wrongful death case, punitive damages are separate from economic and non-economic damages. They are usually not covered by insurance companies and sought from at-fault parties directly. Punitive damages are generally awarded at the discretion of the court for egregious conduct like DUI or excessive speeding in a wrongful death auto accident case.
Watch the video below to learn more about the wrongful death claims process.
Importance of Working with a Wrongful Death Lawyer
Recovery in a wrongful death claim often includes settlement negotiations with insurance companies and court proceedings. The unfortunate reality about this process is that insurance companies representing negligent parties may act quickly to dispute the value or validity of wrongful death claims filed against their insured. This may also occur in uninsured/underinsured motorist claims with your insurance carrier. Since the insurance company does not have the best interests of survivors at heart, families will need an experienced wrongful death attorney in Stockton on their side to handle communications with insurance adjusters and defense counsel on their behalf. This way, they can focus on grieving and recovering from their loss while their lawyer works diligently to obtain the compensation and justice they deserve.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Stockton
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury lawyer. As a family, you had experiences to share and enjoy with your close relative. Sadly, that was all taken away from you when your loved one lost their life in a fatal motor vehicle crash. If the car accident was caused by the negligence of someone else, you and your family deserve justice for your loss. Call our law firm to learn how we can help your family through this difficult time and hold the at-fault party financially responsible for your loss by calling (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400. We are available anytime to discuss your case and provide free, friendly advice on your situation.
Before contacting us to set up a complimentary consultation, check out our client comments and list of past case results at these links:
Image Credit: https://pixabay.com/photos/two-red-roses-grey-marble-4219904/
:ds llo [cs 809]