Delayed Auto Accident Injury Symptoms
Delayed Auto Accident Injury Symptoms. After an accident, people are often in a heightened state of emotions. Adrenaline, shock, and confusion can all affect someone after they have been in a crash and knowing what to do after a crash can be hard for these reasons. However, one thing that is extremely important to do after an accident is to make sure that you haven’t been seriously injured. Often, people walk away from collisions without getting any attention from a medical professional and, many times, they do so with unnoticed injuries. Although some injuries are obvious, such as open fractures and lacerations, other injuries can be harder to detect. Some hard-to-detect injuries can cause symptoms days or even weeks after the accident occurs and can lead to serious complications and secondary injuries if left untreated.
What Symptoms Might Be Delayed?
- Abdominal swelling and/or pain: Abdominal injuries can take a while to show symptoms and may cause bruising, dizziness, and pain. This may be an indication of internal injuries such as bleeding or damage to organs such as the stomach, liver, spleen, or intestines. These injuries are often life-threatening, and if you experience these symptoms after being in a car accident, you should seek immediate medical care.
- Sleep issues, drowsiness, nausea, headaches, and vomiting: According to information from Mayo Clinic, these symptoms may be signs of a traumatic brain injury and can also take a long time to show following an accident. Traumatic brain injuries are serious and even mild cases are likely to have a wide range of both physical, mental and emotional effects. These injuries can become worse and also require immediate medical attention.
- Depression, sleeplessness, anxiety, nightmares, and continually thinking about the crash: These symptoms are often signs of emotional trauma related to an accident. Signs of emotional trauma can also include fear of going outside or of being in a vehicle. In the most extreme cases, car accidents can leave people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). These emotional and mental symptoms often require professional help.
- Numbness, weakness, or tingling in the extremities: These symptoms might indicate a spinal column or neck injury. The Cleveland Clinic states that cervical injuries may also lead to stiffness, muscle spasms, and anxiety.
- Back pain: pain in the back may indicate a spinal injury including injuries to the nerves, ligaments, and muscles attached to the spine. Severe symptoms may indicate a more severe injury such as a spinal fracture or vertebral dislocation.
Documenting Your Injuries
While preventing complications and treating your injuries is very important, it is also important to make sure that you are able to prove that your injuries were caused by the accident. In order to make sure that you can obtain accident compensation, you should visit a doctor as soon as possible after you’ve been in a crash and make sure to tell them that you were involved in a collision. Some other important steps to take are:
- Document pain or changing symptoms.
- Take pictures of cuts, bruises, and other visible trauma.
- Keep records of prescriptions, medical bills, and all accident-related expenses.
- Follow your doctor’s orders and make sure to take prescribed medicines on time.
- Attend any and all follow-up, chiropractic, or physical therapy appointments recommended by your doctor.
Watch YouTube Video From Ed Smith, Suisun City Auto Accident Attorney – Injury Claim Value
More by Ed Smith, Suisun City Auto Accident Attorney
Suisun City Auto Accident Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Suisun City auto accident attorney. If an auto accident has injured you or a loved one, call (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice. You can also contact me online.
If you want to learn about my excellent history of advocacy, see my Verdicts and Settlements. To get more information, read my review pages on:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a nation-wide group for attorneys who’ve won a client over $1,000,000 through a settlement or trial verdict.
The best online source for Northern CA info on auto accidents and personal injury is AutoAccident.com.
Delayed Auto Accident Injury Symptoms: AutoAccident.com
Photo: ab / Delayed Auto Accident Injury Symptoms
:ms llo [cs 727] cv