Common Types of Dog Bite Injury
I’m Ed Smith, a Benicia dog bite lawyer. When people imagine a dog bite, they usually picture a classic bite-mark pattern of small puncture wounds on either a leg or an arm. While some dog bite injuries do look like this, many are unaware that dog bites can cause a wide range of very serious injuries. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported that more than four million Americans are bitten by dogs annually. While not all of these bites will cause a serious injury, it is important to know the types of injuries that dog attacks are known to cause.
Most Common Injuries
Most dog bites will involve severe discomfort at the very least and are capable of causing injuries that require expensive medical treatments and extensive therapy. Included below are some of the most common serious injury types that dogs can cause when they bite:
- Eye Injuries: these can be very serious and usually require special treatment from a qualified doctor in order to prevent loss of vision. Dog bites can cause a few different types of damage to eye tissue including corneal abrasions, hemorrhaging, and orbital fractures.
- Bone Fractures: Usually, bone fractures that are caused by dogs affect an extremity such as the arms or legs. In some cases, a dog bite can cause fractures in other parts of the body such as the spinal column or skull.
- Infections: A dog’s mouth is full of bacteria, and many of these germs are very harmful to the human body. When a dog bite breaks through the skin, these bacteria can enter the body and lead to serious health problems. In the worst cases, an infected wound can lead to fatal complications.
- Nerve Damage: a dog’s bite has the ability to damage nerve tissue. Damage to nerve tissue can be very difficult to recover from and these types of injuries may never fully heal. Effects of nerve damage can include loss of sensation, chronic pain, and paralysis.
- Lacerations: Dog attacks often leave people with large cuts. Sometimes this happens when a dog’s sharp teeth tear into the skin. Other times, people are left with lacerations after a dog knocks them over and they are cut during the fall.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Being bitten by a dog can be an emotionally traumatic event. Many who survive dog bites are left with serious mental health issues that result in symptoms like anxiety, depression, and more. These problems can be just as serious and debilitating as physical issues like eye or nerve damage.
Watch YouTube Video – from Attorney Ed Smith – Recoverable Damages in a Dog Bite Injury Case
To get useful information about what kinds of damages you may be able to recover after suffering a dog bite injury, watch this video produced by my firm:
More by Ed Smith, Benicia Dog Bite Lawyer
- Frequently Asked Dog Bite Questions
- What is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Correcting Dangerous Dog Behaviors
Dog Bite Lawyer in Benicia
I’m Ed Smith, a Benicia dog bite lawyer. When dogs bite, people are often seriously injured. If a dog has hurt you or someone you know, call me for free, friendly advice. You can reach me at (800) 404-5400, (707) 564-1900 or at my website.
Learn about my previous successes here – Verdicts and Settlements.
The Million Dollar Advocates Forum lists me as one of their members. Trial lawyers of this forum have won or settled a case that was worth, at a minimum, $1,000,000.
See these websites to read reviews about my practice:
Go to my website to read the top information on personal injury topics available in Northern California – AutoAccident.com.
:ms [cs 655] bw cv