Collision Kills Pedestrian Near Modesto — Recently, a hit and run accident in south Modesto claimed the life of a pedestrian. The crash occurred shortly after 3:00 in the morning along Crows Landing Road, just north of Blankenburg Avenue. A pedestrian was walking in the southbound lane of Crows Landing Road when an oncoming vehicle collided with the walker. The driver of that car reportedly fled the scene following the pedestrian accident, leaving the victim behind to succumb to their injuries. Officials have identified the victim as 32-year-old Richard Green of Ceres.
My thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of Mr. Green during this difficult time.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
Pedestrians have a duty of reasonable care when encountering traffic along public roadways or crossing the street. Following are some safety tips pedestrians should exercise to protect themselves from harm’s way while walking:
- Do not assume that drivers can see you. Cross in areas where motorists expect to spot pedestrians such as crosswalks, intersections, or corners.
- Do not consume alcohol before going out for a walk. Alcohol consumption can alter your judgment to know when to cross the road safely.
- Do not walk while distracted. This includes texting or talking on a cell phone.
- Enhance your visibility to drivers by wearing bright colors during the day and light-colored or reflective clothing at night.
- Headphones limit your perception of your surroundings. Avoid using them to limit your risk of a pedestrian injury.
- When sidewalks are not available, walk along the left side of the road facing the flow of traffic.
Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable to serious injury or death due to their lack of physical protection. Drivers are obligated to maintain a high degree of care for pedestrians and exercise the following safety precautions:
- Do not drive while intoxicated. Alcohol consumption can impair your decision-making skills, judgment, and cognitive function.
- In inclement conditions, drive with your lights on to make it easier for walkers to see your vehicle.
- Keep an eye out for pedestrians when backing out, especially when leaving your driveway.
- Never overtake another car stopped at a crosswalk as they may be stopped for a pedestrian that is crossing.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. When approaching a crosswalk, begin to slow down before the marked crossing and leave enough room for pedestrians.
Pedestrians Injured in Hit and Run Accidents
Pedestrians who have sustained injuries in accidents caused by uninsured or hit and run drivers may seek recourse through their automobile insurance. If the pedestrian has uninsured motorist protection on his or her own policy or lives in a household with someone who has such insurance, coverage is usually extended to them. This type of insurance typically covers damages incurred in an accident with an uninsured or hit and run driver. This includes the costs of past and future medical care, time lost from work, loss of earning capacity, permanent injury and disability, and more. In cases of wrongful death, surviving family members may reclaim compensation for expenses of a loved one’s funeral and burial, end-of-life medical care, loss of consortium, and other related expenses. If this situation applies to you or a family member, you may benefit from the advice of an experienced Modesto pedestrian accident lawyer.
Modesto Wrongful Death Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death attorney. Coping with the loss of someone you love is never easy, especially when the loss is due to wrongful death. If a member in your family has suffered fatal injuries in an accident caused by a negligent party or entity, please feel free to give me a call anytime for compassionate, free and friendly advice at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates as a member of California. Members of this forum are trial attorneys who have obtained $1 million or more through a case verdict or settlement.
View a list of our past cases and their results on our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Collision Kills Pedestrian Near Modesto: AutoAccident.com
Photo Source: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay / Collision Kills Pedestrian Near Modesto
:ds [cs 701] cv