Accident on Old Auburn Road Involves Motor Vehicle and Motorcycle
A motorcycle crash in Citrus Heights on July 2 caused life-threatening injuries to the rider. A call was placed to the Citrus Heights Police Department at around 4:55 p.m. about a collision involving a motor vehicle and motorcyclist along Old Auburn Road near Loi Linda Lane. Upon arrival, they discovered the motorcyclist on the ground.
Motorcyclist Transported to Hospital With Life-Threatening Injuries
First responders with the Sac Metro Fire Department arrived to assess injuries to the rider, who was transported to a hospital with serious trauma. The Traffic Unit began investigating the crash and has not reported whether drugs or alcohol factored into the accident. The roadway near the collision remained closed for around four hours while the investigation was held.
The Severity of a Motorcycle Crash
Whenever motorcyclists are in a crash that involves a motor vehicle, severe injuries often occur. Some of the types of injuries that can happen include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Fractured bones
- Abdominal trauma
- Chest injuries
- Spinal cord and back injuries
Traumatic injuries can require a lengthy hospitalization as well as corrective surgeries, specialists and a long recuperative period. If traumatic brain injuries are involved, they can result in a loss of cognitive function, and the patient may require lifelong care. Spinal cord trauma can cause temporary or permanent paralysis, which is also a severe injury requiring around-the-clock nursing. When serious injuries occur, the injured party may recover damages that include the cost of long-term care, further hospitalizations and other needs.
What Kinds of Negligence by a Driver Commonly Cause a Motorcycle Crash?
Because drivers of motor vehicles are accustomed to looking only for other motorists sharing the roadway, they often neglect to keep an eye out for motorcycle riders, bicyclists, and pedestrians. This neglect can lead to an accident, including a serious motorcycle crash. Some of the ways in which drivers are negligent include:
- Turning in front of a rider is the most common cause of a serious motorcycle crash.
- Changing lanes without checking the rear-view mirror can lead to a collision with a motorcycle.
- Speeding often leads to all types of accidents, including with motorcyclists, because the driver is going too fast to slow down.
- Drunk and drugged driving contribute to all types of collisions.
- Distracted driving, such as checking emails or texting is a major cause of a motorcycle crash even though the driver’s eyes are averted for only a few seconds.
- Running a stop sign or red light at an intersection can result in a motorcycle crash when the rider is legally passing through.
- When a passenger vehicle driver stops suddenly or tailgates a motorcyclist, it can lead to a serious accident, causing the rider to be ejected from their bike.
- Aggressive drivers often crowd others sharing the roadway and can intentionally force a motorcyclist off the road.
Citrus Heights Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, and I’m a Citrus Heights personal injury lawyer. Motorcycle accident injuries are frequently serious, requiring a long period of hospitalization and recovery. If your injuries were the result of a negligent motorist, you might be able to recover fair compensation. Contact us at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly advice from one of our legal team members. You can also contact us online or by calling (800) 404-5400.
Find out how others have been helped by our injury lawyers at the following links:
We are honored to belong to:
:cd llo