Car Accidents Can Predict the Severity of a TBI
Motor vehicle collisions are among the most common causes of a traumatic brain injury. A published medical research study showed that the seriousness of the accident can be used to predict the severity of brain injury. The study published in the Accident Annals and Prevention was conducted over 5 years. The goal of the study was to provide information related to the incidence of TBIs that occur in road traffic accidents. The medical researchers reviewed the records of more than 1,200 individuals who had sustained a severe traumatic brain injury in a road traffic accident. Some of the signs of a severe TBI include:
- An abrupt loss of consciousness
- An open head wound
- Direct injury to the brain tissue underneath the skull
- A serious brain bleed
- An intracerebral herniation
After reviewing the medical records, the researchers tried to draw conclusions tying the factors of a car accident to the severity of a head injury.
The Results of the Research Study
After collecting the information on more than 1,200 patients, the researchers used advanced statistical tools to look for trends in their data. Some of the crucial points from their study include:
- The annual incidence rate of a severe traumatic brain injury was about 14 out of every 100,000 people.
- Of these individuals, more than a third of them will die.
- A severe TBI suffered in a child had a 20 percent chance of resulting in death.
- In contrast, this severe injury in an adult carries of mortality risk of close to 75 percent.
- Those involved in a motorcycle accident had an 18-times higher risk of suffering a severe TBI if they were not wearing a helmet.
- Pedestrians were nine times more likely to suffer a severe TBI than an individual riding in a car.
- Those who did not wear their seat belt were four times more likely to suffer a severe TBI.
- Those who did not wear their helmet while riding a bicycle were six times more likely to suffer a severe TBI.
- Men were more likely to suffer severe TBI than their female counterparts.
These results show that numerous risk factors in a road traffic accident could increase the chances of suffering severe TBI. These factors need to be considered when looking at accident mechanisms and records. Anyone who experiences severe head injury needs to seek medical care right away.
Watch YouTube Video: Teen Survives Car Accident. A teenage boy was in a terrible car accident that left him in critical condition with a traumatic brain injury. This video tells his story of survival and what he did to overcome his TBI.
Contacting a TBI Lawyer in the Bay Area
Having a loved one who has suffered a traumatic brain injury can be stressful. Numerous uncertainties need to be addressed. Your loved one may never make a full recovery. Meeting with a traumatic brain injury lawyer in San Francisco can help remove some of this stress and allow your loved one to focus on the recovery. An experienced Bay Area brain injury attorney can help with:
- Reviewing the medical records and the information from the accident, looking for links and ensuring that nothing has been missed.
- Working with professionals who are able to reconstruct what happened at the scene of the accident.
- Assisting families in making objective decisions that will help them during the recovery process.
- Transitioning a case to trial when needed.
You are not alone during this difficult time. Meeting with a San Francisco Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer can be helpful. You and your family might be owed a financial settlement.