Young Boy Suffers Serious Injuries in Illegal Fireworks Incident
An 11-year-old boy had part of his hand amputated by an explosion from a firework in a Carmichael parking lot, officials said.
Sacramento Metro Fire Department received a report of a “man on fire” about 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 15, 2016.
Fire crews arrived on the scene and discovered the boy lying on the ground with traumatic injuries.
Investigators think the 11-year-old boy was holding an illegal, mortar-type, firework inside of a car, according to officials.
Tragically, the force of the explosion caused catastrophic injuries to the boy’s hand.
In addition, he also suffered burns to numerous areas of his body, rescue personnel said.
Metro Fire Department reported four fireworks-related injuries last year:
- Two individuals suffered partial dismemberment to hands;
- One person received a flash burn to the face;
- A firefighter was injured while fighting a blaze caused by a firework, officials said.
Firework Safety Tips
- Metro Fire officials urge the public to remember that fireworks are not toys.
- Keep in mind that you should purchase only legal fireworks.
- Look for the Safe and Sane seal on the packaging put there by the state fire marshal.
- Beginning June 28, 2016, Safe and Sane firework sales will be sold at fireworks booths throughout the region.
Sacramento Amputation Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Amputation Injury Lawyer. If you or a family member has been seriously injured by the negligence of someone else, please call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
We are proud members of the Million Dollar Advocate – California – Forum Member.
Founder of the leading personal injury website: www.autoaccident.com
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons Phantom.jpg