I-80 Collision Occurs When Big Rig Jackknifes
A jackknife accident near Roseville on February 25 happened along the interstate during the early hours of the morning. The accident happened at about 2:00 in the morning along Interstate 80 when the driver, for unknown reasons, experienced a jackknife close to the off-ramp for Douglas Boulevard. The big rig was significantly damaged, and debris was scattered all over the roadway.
Big Rig Jackknife Accident Being Investigated
The driver walked away with minor injuries from the crash. A report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said that an additional vehicle might have been involved in the accident, but no further information was provided. The Roseville collision is being investigated by the CHP to find out how the jackknife accident occurred.
Big Rig Jackknife Accidents
Semis are the heaviest, largest vehicles on the roadways around Sacramento County, and an accident involving one is not only frightening but can cause serious injuries. Jackknife accidents happen when the trailer being pulled is suddenly moving faster than the tractor pulling it. It causes the trailer to swing around to the side, which is similar to the shape of an opened jackknife. These types of accidents happen quickly, which doesn’t give other vehicles the chance to get out of the way.
Causes of a Jackknife Accident
There are a number of reasons a big rig can jackknife, including the following:
- Weather conditions are a major cause of jackknifes: Wet, slippery roads can cause a tractor-trailer to have problems with traction and go into a slide. It’s a short distance from sliding to going into a jackknife, injuring those in nearby vehicles.
- Inexperienced drivers: With the current shortage of big rig drivers, not all have the experience handling a semi that they should. Training is important for a truck driver to be safe on the road, especially in an emergency situation.
- Brakes: Trucks have multiple sets of brakes, and a malfunction or using the wrong ones can result in a big rig jackknife accident.
- Poor maintenance: In addition to bad brakes, problems with steering, worn tires, and other mechanical problems can lead to a jackknife accident.
- Badly loaded or overloaded cargo: Cargo in a big rig has to be loaded carefully, so it won’t shift while being transported. Failure to do so can make the trailer go out of control and either experience a rollover or jackknife.
- Speeding: Trying to stop any vehicle quickly that can weigh 80,000 pounds means the tractor portion can probably stop faster than the trailer it is pulling. This can cause a big rig jackknife accident.
- Distracted driving: One of the problems with being a truck driver is that they spend long hours on the road and that can get boring. The driver gets sleepy from focusing on the road and may look for distractions to stay alert. This may include playing the radio, texting, or checking GPS often. However, taking their eyes off the road can cause the driver to drift into another lane, and overcorrecting can lead to an accident.
Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyer
My name is Ed Smith, and I’m a Sacramento truck accident lawyer. When your injuries are caused by a negligent truck driver, you may be able to place a claim for compensation. This can cover the cost of all your medical expenses, your lost wages and reimburse you for pain and suffering. You can reach me for my free, friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 or through the long-distance line at (800) 404-5400. An online message form is available also.
I’m honored to be a member of:
My law firm has helped many Northern Californians since 1982 in obtaining the compensation they deserve for their truck accidents, wrongful deaths, and car collisions.
Knowing who to call for advice after you’ve suffered an accident injury caused by negligence can be challenging because of the many lawyers available in your area. This is why I like to include links that tell you how we have helped others over the years, which you will find below:
Attributed photo: https://pixabay.com/photos/truck-semi-truck-semi-truck-desert-1499377/
:cd llo [cs 708]