Crash Along Elkhorn Boulevard Causes Major Injury in Big Rig Accident
A big rig accident happened in North Highlands on September 12 when the vehicle experienced a rollover. According to the police report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the tractor-trailer struck a fence along Elkhorn Boulevard just west of 32nd Street for unknown reasons around 4:40 in the morning. The tractor-trailer then experienced a rollover and ended up on its roof. Both lanes were blocked by the collision in North Highlands.
Major Injuries Reported in the Big Rig Accident
Emergency responders with the Sacramento Fire Department arrived and determined that there were two parties inside the big rig, and one had suffered major injuries. That individual was transported to a hospital for treatment. No information was provided about the other individual in the tractor-trailer. The accident is being investigated by the CHP to determine how the big rig accident happened.
Investigation of a Truck Accident
Our investigators go to the site of a big rig accident right away to gather evidence to support an injury claim. They interview the witnesses, obtain camera footage if it exists and go over the police report looking for inaccuracies. The investigators perform accident reconstruction, which not only can help determine how the crash happened but offer other important evidence. Our lawyers take over once the evidence is gathered to construct a strong case to benefit our client.
Driver Error and Accidents Involving Big Trucks
Driver error is often a reason for a big rig accident and can be caused either by the trucker or another motorist. Common reasons for these types of accidents include:
- Distracted driving has become the number one driver error that results in a collision.
- Drunk or drugged driving remains a major cause of collisions. However, truck drivers have a very low rate of drunk driving, but taking medications to stay alert is a problem.
- Fatigued driving can affect all motorists. A driver who is too tired can fall asleep at the wheel and is not alert enough to be safe on the roadway.
- Not following traffic laws is another major cause of crashes. A driver who speeds, runs a red light and other infractions, increases the risk of a collision.
Accidents Not Caused by Driver Error
Accidents that involve a big rig often result in serious injuries to others. While most are caused by driver error, either by the trucker or another motorist, not all are. In some cases, other causes include:
- Negligence by the trucking company: Failure to service and properly maintain trucks, encouraging the violation of the mandatory hours of service and hiring inexperienced drivers can contribute to a big rig accident.
- Driver error: Drivers of passenger vehicles can also cause a big rig accident. Distracted or impaired driving or cutting off the driver of a big rig can cause a truck to crash. In addition, driving in the big rig’s blind spot or tailgating can result in a crash.
- Shifting or badly loaded cargo: Cargo that shifts during transit can have consequences that are devastating both to the driver and to surrounding vehicles. The big rig can swerve, go out of control or experience a rollover. The company that loaded the cargo, third-party or shipper may be held liable for injuries.
- Defective parts: Defective tire tread, brake failure, a malfunction in the steering and other problems can result in a big rig accident. In these cases, the manufacturer and others in the production line may be held financially responsible through a product liability lawsuit.
Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento personal injury lawyer. Being injured in a big rig accident can mean high medical bills, pain and suffering and loss of income. When negligence is the cause, I have free and friendly advice to offer you. I can be reached at (916) 921-6400 or from long-distance at (800) 404-5400. An online contact form is available also.
I’m honored to have helped North Highlands and other Northern Californians obtain fair compensation for their accident injuries from traffic collisions, cases that concern wrongful deaths, and traumas, including brain injuries since 1982.
I am a California member of:
Discover more about my law firm below:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/semi-accident-crash-truck-2659736/
:cd llo [cs 720]