Accident at East Parkway Intersection Causes Bicyclist Injury
A bicyclist injury was reported in Sacramento on December 2 following a collision with a motor vehicle. The accident was reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) as occurring at East Parkway and Florin Road around 5:48 p.m. The driver of the vehicle that struck the bicyclist remained at the accident scene. However, shortly after the collision occurred, someone jumped in their vehicle wearing a black hoodie and stole it.
Minor Injuries Reported in Sacramento
Medics with the Sacramento Fire Department reported that the bicycle rider had suffered minor injuries in the accident. It was neither reported whether the bicyclist was transported to a hospital or whether police located the stolen vehicle. An investigation into the accident is being conducted by the CHP.
Causes of a Bicyclist Injury Accident
Bicycle riders are expected to follow the rules of the road just like others. However, because of their vulnerability and lower conspicuity, they often get struck by negligent motorists. Filing a claim for compensation can be helpful because bicyclists often face hospitalization due to serious trauma and require a long recuperative period. Some of the top reasons these accidents happen that are due to driver negligence are:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the major causes of traffic collisions, including with bicycle riders. The motorist who is texting, talking on their phone, or doing anything else that takes their attention away from driving can cause a serious bicyclist injury.
- Speeding: The driver who is speeding needs a longer distance to stop if an emergency occurs and is more likely to lose control of their vehicle. In addition, a bicycle rider or pedestrian who is struck by a speeder can suffer more traumatic injuries and an increased risk of a fatality in an accident with a speeding driver.
- Making a turn at an intersection without looking for bicyclists or pedestrians: Even though a driver may be going through a green light, they still have the duty to avoid striking a rider and causing a serious bicyclist injury.
- Making an unsafe lane change: When motorists are planning to make a right-hand turn, they often go into the bicycle lane to do so. However, if they don’t look first to see that the bike lane is unoccupied by a rider, they can cause a bicyclist injury.
- Drunk driving: A driver who is intoxicated either by alcohol or drugs has problems judging distances, can’t track with their eyes, and slowed reflexes. This can cause a bicyclist injury accident.
- Running a red light or stop sign: A common cause of bicycle injury accidents, the negligent driver who runs a red light or stop sign, can easily strike a bicycle rider who is passing through an intersection.
Seeking Advice After a Bicyclist Injury Accident
When a negligent driver caused your injuries in a bicycle accident, you may be able to place a claim to recover compensation. Over the years, my law office has successfully handled many claims of this type. We offer a free, no-obligation consultation, either virtually or in-person, where you can have your questions answered, we can review your case, and we can tell you about options to recover compensation.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a personal injury lawyer in Sacramento. If a motorist caused your accident injury, you are welcome to call us for our free and friendly advice about the possibility of filing a compensation claim. You can reach us either at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. We can also be reached online.
We’re proud members of:
Additional information about how we’ve assisted others in obtaining the compensation they deserve following an injury can be found at the following links:
My team of injury attorneys and I have assisted many people since 1982 in getting the compensation they deserve following all kinds of traffic accidents, claims involving wrongful deaths, and other cases.
:cd llo