Accident on I-80 Causes a Major Injury When Vehicle Leaves Road
A major injury happened in Auburn on May 4 when a driver lost control of their vehicle along westbound I-80. The accident happened just west of the Paoli Lane off-ramp around 7:35 p.m., according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The vehicle reportedly flipped over several times, struck a wall and then went over and down an embankment about 15 feet on the right-hand side.
Accident Is Being Investigated to Discover Cause
Placer County Fire Department first responders arrived and determined the driver had suffered major injuries in the collision. The cause is as yet known; however, the CHP is investigating to determine how the accident happened. Whether alcohol or drugs was a factor in the crash was not reported.
The Causes of Run-Off-Road Accidents
The most common cause of run-off-road accidents is driver error, whether it is speeding, being intoxicated or distracted driving. Accidents involving a single vehicle are sometimes caused by external factors out of the control of the driver. A party who is injured in this manner may be able to file a claim to recover fair compensation, including their medical expenses as well as time off work, and be reimbursed for their pain and suffering.
Run-Off-Road Accidents Caused by Mechanical Failure
Run-off-road accidents can be caused by defective tires, steering, accelerator, brakes or even the engine. Some of the conditions that cause run-off-road accidents due to mechanical failure include:
- Tire blowout: A blown tire or tread separation can cause a driver to lose control, resulting in the vehicle going off the road.
- Power steering failure: In the event of a power steering failure, the wheel locks up, making it impossible for the driver to control the vehicle. This can easily lead to a run-off-road crash leading to a major injury.
- Faulty accelerator: Some vehicles have been recalled by the manufacturer because the accelerator pedal stuck, which caused the car to speed out of control.
- Brake failure: Run-off-road accidents can occur when a driver is unable to stop their vehicle because their brakes fail.
- Motor failure: When an engine stops suddenly, the driver has no control over what is happening, causing a run-off-road accident, which can lead to a major injury.
A manufacturer and others can be sued with the assistance of an injury lawyer if a mechanical defect causes an accident by filing an auto product liability claim. So engineers can evaluate the vehicle for defects after an accident, it is crucial to prevent the vehicle from being destroyed.
Government Negligence Can Lead to a Major Injury Accident
Road design, potholes, fissures, rifts, and other problems can cause a major injury accident. Those responsible for designing and maintaining the roadway may be held financially liable. Due to the shorter statute of limitations for filing a claim within six months when a government entity is involved, consulting a lawyer may be in your best interest. By hiring a lawyer, you will ensure that the claim is filed within the statute of limitations, and all paperwork is completed accurately. Otherwise, you will not be able to bring the case to court.
It may be beneficial to talk to a lawyer about your major injury run-off-road accident if you believe an outside influence was the cause. Many of these types of cases have been successfully handled by my law firm over the years.
Top-Rated Personal Injury Lawyers in Auburn
I am Ed Smith, and I’m an Auburn personal injury lawyer. If another person or entity caused your injury through negligence, you might want to place a claim to recover compensation. Call us at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for our free and friendly advice. An online contact form is available also.
We’re proud members of:
You can find out how our injury lawyer team has helped others below:
:cd llo