Accident Investigation on Trinity River Drive Concludes With Arrest of Driver
A man has been arrested following a hit-and-run pedestrian fatality accident that occurred in Rancho Cordova back in November. The accident occurred around Trinity River Drive at Sunset Boulevard, according to a spokesperson with the Rancho Cordova Police Department. The man who is suspected of fleeing the scene of the accident was from Sacramento and is being held at the Sacramento County jail on $75,000 bail.
Driver Faces Felony Hit-and-Run Charges in Pedestrian Fatality Accident
The man suspected of being the driver in the pedestrian fatality faces charges of hit-and-run resulting in serious injury or death and driving unlicensed, which is a misdemeanor. The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has not released the deceased pedestrian’s name as of yet.
Traffic Accident Death of a Loved One
We experience great sadness when we learn that a loved one has died unexpectedly. Family members suffer a big loss when they find out that a loved one has died in a fatal accident caused by negligence by a driver or another entity. In response to the news, the family feels grief-stricken, broken and angry, as well as helpless. Along with these emotions, they also seek justice for their loved one and look for the reason for his or her death.
Moreover, the family needs closure as it deals with the astronomical cost of end-of-life expenses after a fatal accident and looks to financially survive after losing a loved one who provided them with financial support. A wrongful death lawsuit following a pedestrian fatality is not likely to ease the family’s grief, but it will allow them to cope with their loss economically while adjusting to life without their loved one.
Wrongful Death Lawsuits: Who Can File
Family members in California who may file a claim for wrongful death include:
- The surviving spouse of the decedent
- The putative spouse of the deceased, meaning someone who considered themselves legally married to the decedent
- The children of the deceased, whether adopted or natural
- The stepchildren of the decedent who received at least 50 percent of their support from the deceased
- The decedent’s parents if they received at least half their support from the deceased
- If the decedent had a child who was deceased, those grandchildren can join the wrongful death claim
What Damages Are Recovered in a Wrongful Death Claim?
In the majority of wrongful death cases, the following damages can be recovered:
- A decedent’s salary plus benefits and additional job-related bonuses up until retirement
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Costs associated with hiring others to do household chores the decedent usually performed such as caring for the vehicles and yard, tending children, cooking and others
- Children’s loss of nurturing, love, and guidance caused by the loss of their parent
- Loss of love and consortium shared by the decedent and his/her spouse
Drunk Driving and Wrongful Death Claims
A conviction for drunk driving resulting in a pedestrian fatality provides good evidence to support a claim for wrongful death. In addition, if the driver had previous arrests for drunk driving, the family might be able to place a request for punitive damages from the court. Punitive damages are meant to punish the offender and discourage future behavior of this type. Your lawyer can explain to your family whether they would be eligible to ask for punitive damages.
Watch the video below to learn more about a wrongful death lawsuit from attorney Ed Smith:
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Rancho Cordova
I am Ed Smith, a wrongful death lawyer in Rancho Cordova. When your loved one dies because of the actions of a negligent driver, your family may want to place a wrongful death claim. You are welcome to reach out to us for our free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. You can also get in touch with us online.
The links that follow illustrate how our injury lawyers have helped others in obtaining the compensation they deserve:
We are honored to belong to the following groups:
:cd llo