Fatal Roseville Accident Update
I’m Ed Smith, a Roseville car accident lawyer. The identity of a man who was killed in a multiple vehicle accident in Roseville on February 16 and additional information about the crash were released on February 21. The police department identified him as Andrew Wait, age 37, a resident of Roseville.
We extend our sympathies to the family and friends of Mr. Wait.
The accident occurred sometime before 5:00 in the afternoon along Baseline Road, near Watt Avenue. A driver in a Hyundai Electra was motoring along the eastbound side of the road when the vehicle crashed into the car ahead. The police report states that it was a Toyota Corolla that Wait was driving. The impact of the crash caused Wait’s vehicle to move into the lane heading westbound, where his vehicle was hit by a GMC pickup.
Wait was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital and was declared dead after arriving there. The Hyundai driver was also transported to a hospital, and the pickup driver appeared to be unharmed by the crash. Neither drugs nor alcohol was deemed to be a factor in the accident.
Rear end collisions are one of the most common types of accidents. Generally, the individual whose vehicle strikes the vehicle in front is responsible for the crash. However, there are instances where the vehicle that is struck from the rear may be partially at fault for the accident if the following conditions existed at the time of the crash:
- The vehicle changes lanes in front of the other vehicle in an unsafe manner.
- The lights in the back of the vehicle were not functioning, which would have warned the other driver to slow down or stop.
- The vehicle in front stopped suddenly.
- The vehicle suddenly stopped due to engine trouble, and the driver either didn’t have time to get it off the road or was unable to move it.
Causes of Rear-End Collisions
Most accidents are caused by driver error, and rear-end collisions are no exception. Some of the causes include:
- Distracted driving: The driver is chatting or texting on a cell phone, eating or talking to someone else in the vehicle.
- Fatigued driving: The driver is sleepy, daydreaming or may have even fallen asleep at the wheel of the vehicle.
- Drunk or drugged driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, whether illegal or legal, can cause a slowed reaction time.
- Speeding: This can prevent a vehicle from stopping in time to prevent a collision with the vehicle in front of it.
- Aggressive driving or road rage: This type of driver exhibits behaviors such as running red lights and disobeying other traffic laws to more aggressive behaviors that constitute a criminal act.
Fault in a Rear End Collision
Under California Vehicle Code 21703, a driver must use prudence when following another vehicle to ensure that the road conditions, traffic and speed of the other vehicle are taken into account. This law is supported by the law regarding basic speed under California Vehicle Code 22350, which states that the speed driven should be prudent and reasonable, and take into consideration the weather, traffic, visibility and highway conditions. The vehicle driver should never travel at a speed that might endanger another person’s safety or property.
Roseville Car Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Roseville car accident lawyer. If you or a loved one was injured when another vehicle struck yours in the rear, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Phone me at (916) 921-6400 for my free, friendly advice or at (800) 404-5400 for those living outside the area.
Look at what others have had to say about my law practice at:
In my over 35 years working as an injury lawyer, I have been honored to have helped numerous Roseville and other Northern California residents in obtaining compensation for injuries such as brain injuries and for wrongful deaths.
As a California member at www.milliondollaradvocates.com, I join other top trial lawyers in a forum representing those who have garnered $1 million in trial verdicts or case settlements for their clients.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/architecture-blur-buildings-cars-592063/
:cd [cs 724] cv