Motorcyclist Dies in Accident Caused by Reckless Driver
The driver of a van who made an illegal U-turn in front of a motorcyclist led to an accident fatality on March 21. The accident happened along Blanco Road eastbound at about 3:30 in the afternoon when the driver made a U-turn that was illegal at West Alisal Street. As the driver made the turn, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), their van came in front of the motorcyclist coming from the other way and they collided.
Driver Commits Hit-and-Run
The motorcycle rider died in the collision. The van driver fled the scene and was placed under arrest later by police. The CHP said the driver was being reckless before the accident happened, and they are checking whether alcohol or drugs was a factor in the collision.
Factors Contributing to Motorcycle Fatalities
Motorcyclists usually suffer serious injuries or die in collisions with motor vehicles. There are a number of ways a negligent driver can cause a fatal motorcycle accident:
- There is a motorcycle approaching, but a driver turns in front of it. It is common for drivers to think that they can cross before a motorcycle reaches them, not realizing that it is difficult to judge another vehicle’s speed and distance.
- When the motorist pulls onto the highway from a side road, he does not see the motorcycle coming.
- Motorcycle accidents are caused by distracted driving. Driving while texting or concentrating on something other than the road can result in an accident.
- A motorcycle fatality accident is also often caused by speeding. Speeding causes the driver to need more stopping distance and can result in loss of control of the vehicle.
- All types of collisions causing an accident fatality are due to drunk driving. Because drunk drivers often weave in and out of their lanes, they can hit a motorcycle rider just by sliding over the centerline.
- A tailgating collision can result in the ejection of a motorcyclist from their motorcycle, leading to an accident fatality.
Wrongful Death After a Motorcycle Accident Fatality
The same rules apply to motorcyclists as they do to others. However, motorcyclists have the same rights as well. An accident that results in the death of a loved one can give rise to a wrongful death claim if the crash was the result of a negligent driver or entity. Motorcyclists are unfortunately depicted in the movies as reckless, so it’s important for them or their families to hire an attorney who knows how to fight for their rights.
As a wrongful death law firm, we have handled many claims successfully and know all the tricks insurance companies will try to use to deny a claim, and how to counter their arguments. If the case goes to civil court, we can educate a biased jury about motorcycle riders, who are responsible, cautious citizens who try their best to stay safe on the road. The family can seek reimbursement for the following:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- An estimation of the salary the decedent would have earned until retirement, including pensions, insurance and other benefits
- Loss of nurturing and guidance can lead to a damage award for the children in the family
- Loss of consortium, comfort and emotional support the decedent provided to the surviving spouse are all recoverable damages
- It is possible to recover monetary compensation for services performed by the decedent at home, such as tax preparation, lawn care, and others
Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Attorney
My name is Ed Smith. I am a Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney. Negligent actions by a driver who causes an accident fatality mean the family of the deceased may be able to file a wrongful death claim. You can contact our injury lawyers at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for our free and friendly advice on whether a claim can be filed. We can also be reached online.
We feel honored to be members of these groups because it shows how dedicated our injury lawyers are to obtaining the compensation they deserve for our clients:
Find out what former clients have said and see a few of the cases we have handled below:
:cd llo