Fatal Accident Along SR 99 Caused by Wrong-Way Driver
An investigation is being conducted by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) following a wrong-way crash that killed a teenager from Olivehurst. The accident happened along State Route 99 close to Live Oak Boulevard sometime around 8:00 p.m. Upon arrival at the accident scene, officers discovered an Olivehurst teen, who was the driver of a Toyota Solara, had been heading south along Highway 99 in the northbound lane.
U-Haul Moving Van Struck Head-On in Wrong-Way Crash
After the young driver entered the highway going in the wrong direction, they collided head-on with a U-Haul moving van in that northbound lane. The teen died from injuries suffered in the accident. The U-Haul experienced a rollover as a result.
Alcohol Suspected by Authorities as Factoring Into Crash
Although two people inside the U-Haul suffered injuries, they were able to exit the vehicle without assistance following the wrong-way crash. According to the CHP, driving under the influence may have been a factor in the cause of the collision.
Wrong-Way Driver Accidents
It is most common for drivers to go the wrong way when entering an exit ramp. It is also possible for drivers to get confused in construction zones or enter one-way streets going the wrong way. Sometimes drivers enter an exit ramp erroneously for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Distracted driving: All types of collisions are caused by distracted driving. As a result of the driver’s distraction, they might enter the wrong side of a ramp.
- Drunk driving: The primary cause of head-on collisions involving wrong-way drivers is drunk driving.
- Drowsy driving: The effects of drowsy driving on motorists have been compared to drunk driving and can lead to a wrong-way crash.
- Unfamiliarity: When a driver is unfamiliar with a road, he or she may enter an exit ramp by mistake.
- Bad sign placement: It is possible for a wrong-way crash to occur due to poor visibility of signs in the area. Government agencies can be held liable for accidents involving injuries or fatalities caused by negligence. However, since the time limit for filing this type of claim is only six months, seeking help from a car accident attorney might be a good idea.
Liability in Accidents
It must be proven that the at-fault driver or entity was negligent for an injured person to claim compensation. To support that claim, our investigators gather evidence at the accident scene. Witnesses are interviewed and the police report is reviewed for errors. We re-create the accident, and we check surveillance cameras in the area for recordings of the wrong-way driver. Following the collection of all evidence, our attorneys construct a strong case to support the compensation claim of our clients.
Olivehurst Personal Injury Attorney
I am Ed Smith, and I’m an Olivehurst personal injury attorney. When you lose a family member because of a negligent driver, they are welcome to call us to find out if they can place a wrongful death claim. Contact us at (530) 392-9400 for free and friendly advice. We can also be reached either at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us a message online. We can arrange a free consultation with one of our injury lawyers to discuss your case, either virtually or in person, where you can have your questions answered and find out what options there are to receive compensation.
We are truly honored to have been granted membership in the following groups:
Our injury lawyers have successfully helped many people in recovering fair compensation, as you can see at the links below:
:cd llo