Understanding Motorcycle Safety in Modesto
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto motorcycle accident attorney. Motorcycle riding can be a thrilling and pleasurable experience. However, it can come with unique risks from negligent motorists. Understanding the dangers a motorcyclist can face on the road is essential in exercising additional precautions that can help keep you and your loved ones out of harm’s way.
Motorcycle accident fatalities can be prevented through awareness and safety. Below are statistics regarding the incidence and consequences of these types of accidents in the nation:
- Approximately 42 percent of motorcyclists who succumbed to their injuries in single-vehicle collisions in 2015 were under the influence of alcohol (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
- Helmet use has been found to reduce the likelihood of fatal injuries for riders by 37 percent and 41 percent for passengers (according to the National Safety Council)
- Lack of helmet use in motorcycle accidents is attributable to $1 billion in damages for the U.S. economy annually (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Motorcycles equipped with anti-lock brakes have been shown to have reduced the rate of fatal accidents by 31 percent compared to those without them (according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
As a rider, exercise the following safety tips to ensure your well-being on every trip:
- Assume other drivers cannot see you and position yourself in a way to be easily seen
- Avoid weaving in and out of traffic
- Choose a motorcycle that best suits you
- Do not speed as traveling at speeds too fast for traffic or weather conditions can increase your odds of a motorcycle accident
- Enroll in refreshment courses if you are an experienced rider who has not ridden a bike for a while
- Invest in a motorcycle with anti-lock brakes as they can help in preventing your front wheel from locking up and throwing you off your bike when you slam on the brakes
- Keep an eye out for hazards on the road such as gravel, debris, puddles, manhole covers, potholes, railroad tracks and oil slicks
- Never ride while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Ride courteously and follow the rules of the road
- Take a motorcycle safety course if you are a new rider
- Wear reflective or bright-colored clothing to increase your visibility to oncoming motorists
- Understand your obligations of exercising due care when riding with a passenger
- Use non-skid boots that cover the ankles
Common Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcyclists are susceptible to suffering traumatic injuries in the event of an accident due to their lack of a physical barrier protecting them from the road. Some of these injuries may include road rash, bone fractures, spinal cord trauma, traumatic brain injury, nerve damage, and more.
Watch YouTube Video: How are Motorcycle Accident Claims Different from Car Accident Cases?
How a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
Not all motorcycle accidents are entirely avoidable for riders. When a motorcyclist is injured in a crash caused by a negligent driver, that rider may have grounds to file a claim for damages incurred such as costs of medical treatment, lost wages, and other related losses. If this has happened to you or your loved one, it is crucial to retain an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Modesto. A seasoned attorney can assist in gathering evidence and facts of the crash to build a strong case for fair compensation of your resulting losses.
Modesto Motorcycle Accident Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto motorcycle accident attorney. Motorcycle accidents often result in debilitating injuries or even death in some cases. If you or a loved one has been severely injured in a motorcycle accident due to the negligent actions of someone else, call me anytime for free, friendly legal advice at (209) 227-1931 or free of toll at (800) 404-5400.
Reading comments and ratings by former clients can help you decide whether to contact an attorney for legal assistance. Mine are available on:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates as a member of California. This forum is reserved for trial lawyers from around the country who have garnered a verdict or settlement worth $1 million or more.
Browse my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photograph Attribution: By “codymonser” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 724] cv