Truck Accident Causes Gravel Spill Near Merced
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced truck accident attorney. An accident caused a tractor-trailer hauling gravel to overturn near Merced during the afternoon of June 18, 2018. A 70-year-old Merced man was driving a 2016 Peterbilt along West 16th Street and attempted to enter the on-ramp for Highway 99 south at approximately 25 to 30 mph. While doing so, the truck reportedly overturned, landed on the driver’s side of the vehicle and spilled its load of gravel along the highway. The trucker was transported via air ambulance to a hospital in Modesto as a safety precaution.
Officials shut the area down for several hours as crews worked extensively in clearing the accident site. The impact of the collision caused a small leak of diesel fuel which was quickly contained by emergency crews.
What Caused the Truck Accident?
Authorities are investigating further into this accident to better understand what caused it to occur. Thus far, officials have not yet publicly released any suspected causes of the truck accident discussed above.
Truck Accident Statistics
Truck accidents occur in Merced as elsewhere. Understanding the statistics surrounding these accidents is important for ensuring your own safety.
- Approximately 475,000 accidents involving large trucks were reported to police in 2016. Of these accidents, there were nearly 104,000 injury collisions and 3,864 fatal crashes (according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration);
- Of the 3,986 individuals fatally injured in truck accidents in 2016, sixty-six percent were passenger vehicle occupants, seventeen percent were truck occupants and sixteen percent were bicyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians (according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety);
- The estimated damages associated with truck accidents to the U.S. economy were roughly $100 billion in 2012, the last year for which comprehensive data is available (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
Causes of Truck Accidents
To prevent truck accidents, it is important to comprehend what causes them. Some of the reasons why these accidents happen are due in part to:
- Distracted driving
- Driving too fast in unsafe weather or road conditions
- Inadequate truck inspection before hitting the road
- Fatigued driving
- Lack of truck maintenance
- Overloading the trailers
- Too many hours behind the wheel without taking a break or rest period
Injuries from Truck Accidents
Those involved in truck accidents are often left with serious injuries due to the overwhelming weight and size of the vehicle. They may include internal injuries, bone fractures, lacerations, spinal cord trauma, brain injuries and more. The physical tolls related to these injuries are further compounded by mounting medical costs, extensive hospital stays, and recovery.
Damages Recoverable in Truck Accidents
The types of damages that may be recovered in a truck accident are as follows:
- Costs related to injury rehabilitation
- Damage or loss to property
- Emotional distress and mental suffering
- Lost time from work
- Medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent injuries or disability
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Truck drivers are often pressured by their employers to violate rules that have been placed in keeping our roads safe. These violations can endanger the lives of others by leading to serious injury or even death in the event of an accident. If you or your loved one has experienced this, discussing your options with an experienced personal injury attorney in Merced is a crucial step to take during the recovery process. A skilled lawyer can make sure you receive fair compensation for resulting medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Merced Truck Accident Lawyer & Personal Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced truck accident attorney. The consequences of truck accidents are endless. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident with a negligent trucker, you need the assistance an experienced injury lawyer can provide. Please feel free to contact me any time at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly legal advice.
Ratings and reviews by our former clients may be read on:
I am a California member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum comprised of trial lawyers from around the country with million dollar verdicts and settlements for clients.
You are welcome to browse our Verdicts and Settlements page for more details on our prior cases and their outcomes.
:ds [cs 726] cv