Travis Boulevard Accident Causes Death of Motor Scooter Rider
A motor scooter rider died on August 30 in Fairfield after he was struck by a motor vehicle. The driver, a Fairfield resident, age 60, was placed under arrest for suspicion of DUI in the incident. The accident occurred as the rider was crossing the street at the intersection of Travis Boulevard and Clay Street, according to the Fairfield Police Department.
Motor Scooter Rider Accident Investigation Ongoing
Paramedics declared the rider deceased at the accident scene. The accident is still under investigation. Authorities are asking those with information to call (707) 428-7300, which is their non-emergency number.
Reason for Motor Scooter Rider Accidents
There are various reasons why a rider gets injured. Some of the most common are:
- Distracted driving: All too many motorists take their focus from the road and attend to other things, leading to a motor scooter crash.
- Lane changes: If the motorist fails to signal when changing lanes, the risk of an accident is high.
- Speeding: When a motorist speeds, the chances they can stop in time to avoid hitting a scooter rider are minimal.
- Road conditions: Potholes and uneven surfaces can make a motor scooter unbalanced.
- Not using protective gear: A motor scooter rider who foregoes protective gear may find themselves a target for an accident.
- Intersections: Motorists may focus on an intersection’s traffic and complexity and not see a motor scooter.
Wrongful Death in a Motor Scooter Crash
When a scooter rider dies due to a car accident, the family may seek justice and financial compensation. While their grief will not disappear, they can pay household bills, particularly if the decedent was a major contributor. The family also seeks justice for the life of their loved one, knowing that they died because of another’s negligence.
There are two types of claims associated with a wrongful death. The first is called a survival action, where the estate executor files a claim for the personal injury the deceased suffered before death. This covers the medical care they received. The time frame between a negligent injury and death varies from case to case but must be associated with the accident.
Damages in a Wrongful Death
The following damages are found in a wrongful death:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of consortium when a spouse loses the support, intimacy and love they had
- Loss of inheritance
- Payment for household duties once performed by the deceased
- Compensation for the children’s lack of parental guidance and nurturing
Statute of Limitation for the Death of a Rider on a Motor Scooter
California’s statute of limitation for a wrongful death claim is two years. The lawsuit must be filed within this time frame. If filing is delayed, then the case may not be able to proceed in the courts. Your attorney will ensure that all documents are filed on time.
According to Ed Smith, a personal injury lawyer, an attorney should have the following qualities:
Personal Injury Attorney in Fairfield
I am Ed Smith. I’m a personal injury attorney in Fairfield. If your loved one died in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, please call us at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice. We are also available online.
Here are some links where you can find out how our injury lawyers have helped those who have been injured or lost loved ones as a result of another’s negligence:
Our accident attorneys are proud to be members of these organizations:
:cd llo [cs 606]