Top Reasons Car Accidents Happen
I’m Ed Smith, a Rancho Cordova car accident lawyer. Many drivers use caution when driving around local cities and on highways. However, no matter how cautious the driver, accidents happen and can cause serious injuries or even the death of a loved one. Learn some of the reasons accidents happen.
Most motor vehicle accidents are caused by driver error. Following are some of the most common errors made by drivers that can lead to an accident.
- Distracted driving: This type of driver error is the number one cause of accidents. Distracted driving can include talking on a cell phone, texting while driving, eating or drinking while in the vehicle or talking to other passengers. It can also be caused by outside distractions such as looking inside other vehicles as they pass by or at construction sites.
- Driving recklessly: This type of dangerous behavior involves areas such as speeding, tailgating, driving aggressively and cutting off other vehicles when changing lanes.
- Disobeying traffic laws: Running a red light or stop sign, making illegal turns and similar actions can cause accidents.
- Racing: Although this type of behavior is more common among young people, street racing is a dangerous activity that can result in accidents and resultant injuries.
- Driving drunk: Drunk driving was a factor in almost one-third of accident fatalities in 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Using a designated driver, calling a taxi or other transportation or limiting drinking and waiting before getting behind the wheel of a car can eliminate this risk.
- Drugged driving: Driving while under the influence of drugs does not mean just illegal drugs. Prescription and over-the-counter drugs can also adversely affect a driver’s abilities while behind the wheel of a vehicle.
- Driving while drowsy: The National Sleep Foundation reported that 60 percent of drivers admitted to of driven while drowsy. Thirty-seven percent said they had fallen asleep while driving. Getting enough rest is the best way to avoid drowsy driving. When this isn’t possible, pulling off and taking breaks or catching a nap can help.
Other Contributing Factors
- Inclement weather: Many drivers do not take weather into consideration when driving. Fog, snow, ice and rain change the condition of the pavement and increase the danger of a crash. Slowing down helps a driver stay in control of the vehicle. If possible, stay home if the weather is too bad.
- Bad roads: Road defects such as potholes, debris on the road and broken pavement contribute to car accidents.
- Defects in motor vehicles and poor maintenance: Design defects and poorly designed or manufactured parts such as defective tires can contribute to accidents. Poor maintenance such as driving on bald tires or with bad brakes is also a major reason for crashes.
Car Accident Lawyer in Rancho Cordova
I’m Ed Smith, a Rancho Cordova car accident lawyer. Besides the stress of recovering from an accident injury, it can also have an adverse impact on finances because of the extra expense. When you or your family member has been injured by a negligent driver’s actions, phone me at (916) 921-6400 for my free and friendly advice. I can also talk to you on my toll-free line at (800) 404-5400.
During my 35 years of practice as an injury lawyer, I have helped numerous residents of Rancho Cordova and other parts of Northern California to obtain fair compensation for their injuries. This includes many types of catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries and in wrongful death cases.
See what others have said about my legal practice at:
Trial lawyers with a record of one-million dollars in settlements or verdicts for previous clients are invited to join Million Dollar Advocates. I belong to this forum as a California member.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/technology-police-car-roof-2500010/
:cd [cs 674] cv