Tips for Pedestrian Safety in Stockton
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton pedestrian accident lawyer. Everywhere you look, people are texting or chatting on a cell phone. However, texting and walking can be hazardous to your health, according to a study by one government agency. The Governors Highway Safety Association reported an 11 percent increase in pedestrian fatalities to nearly 6,000 as the highest number in 20 years.
Major Causes of Accidents Caused by a Pedestrian
Although drivers of motor vehicles are at fault for the majority of collisions with pedestrians, walkers have to shoulder some of the responsibility. Following are some of the major reasons that pedestrians err and become involved in an accident:
- Texting or talking on a phone while walking is a major problem. Both motorists and walkers are guilty of this form of distraction.
- Failure to use the designated crosswalks at intersections contributes to accidents. The crosswalks are there for pedestrian safety. Motorists may miss seeing someone step out between two vehicles in the middle of a block or not have sufficient warning to stop in time.
- Drinking is a problem with both pedestrians and drivers of motor vehicles. Because alcohol or drug consumption affects the thought processes and slows reaction times, it is a dangerous combination when crossing streets.
- Ignoring the signs at a crosswalk can also cause an accident. Drivers are not expecting a pedestrian to step out on a crosswalk when the sign is red. To do so invites an accident.
- While it may be pleasant to wear earphones while walking and listening to music, this can be dangerous because the pedestrian cannot hear the traffic.
Increased Traffic Equals an Increase in Fatalities and Injuries
Part of the problem may be due to the increased number of drivers on the road. According to the Federal Highway Administration, the number of miles driven on the nation’s highways went up 2.8 percent in 2016 to 3.22 trillion. As more people have discovered the pleasure of walking as exercise, for work and to run errands, the combination naturally leads to more accidents. However, when a pedestrian is injured in an accident caused by another person’s negligent actions, he or she may be able to recover compensation. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help by explaining what is involved and gather evidence to present a strong case.
Pedestrian Accidents in Stockton and San Joaquin County
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, 159 pedestrians were reported as being injured or killed in traffic accidents in Stockton in 2015. Among the 15 cities in California of similar size, Stockton placed 5th out of the 15 cities studied. Across San Joaquin County, 254 were either injured or died as a result of a collision with a motor vehicle. Forty six of those involved in the accidents were 15 or younger in age, while 32 were 65 years old or older.
Similar Articles by Ed Smith, Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Stockton:
Stockton Pedestrian Accident Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton pedestrian accident lawyer. Being involved in an accident caused by a motor vehicle can create mounting expenses that are difficult to pay. If this has happened to you or your loved one, contact me at (209) 227-1931. I am here to offer you friendly advice that is free of charge. My nationwide number is (800) 404-5400, or you can access our online form at the website I founded and own at AutoAccident.com.
I am honored to have served those with personal injuries in Stockton and in Northern California since 1982. Among the types of cases I have represented are those with traumatic injuries and claims for wrongful death.
My inclusion in the forum Million Dollar Advocates is because I have obtained client settlements and/or verdicts of at least one million dollars.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/the-traffic-light-pedestrian-crossing-2157162/
:cd [cs 726] cv