Suspected DUI Crash Near Firebaugh Sends Three to the Hospital
Three people were hospitalized for injuries following a multi-vehicle accident involving a suspected drunk driver. The crash happened north of Firebaugh in Fresno County.
Details of the Firebaugh Injury Crash
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) responded to a call for a three-car collision on Highway 33 near Hudson Avenue around 7 p.m. on Saturday, November 12, 2022.
Authorities said a woman driving southbound on Highway 33 collided head-on with another vehicle when she veered off the highway and overcorrected into oncoming traffic. The woman was taken to the hospital with major injuries. Officials believe she was driving under the influence at the time of the collision.
Three people were inside the second vehicle, including a child. The man and woman were sent to the hospital with significant injuries, while the child suffered minor injuries and is expected to be okay.
A third car also hit the two vehicles after the crash, but investigators said the driver did not suffer any injuries.
The CHP closed Highway 33 temporarily in both directions as they investigated the accident.
How Alcohol Can Affect Drivers
When driving on a busy roadway, paying attention to your surroundings and looking for other vehicles is essential. You can avoid unexpected motor vehicle accidents by being responsible, following traffic rules, and not driving while intoxicated or impaired.
Alcohol can affect a driver’s ability to operate a car safely. Below is a look at the effects of alcohol on different blood concentration levels:
- BAC level – 0.02: A driver is more relaxed and has some impaired judgment. They may have issues with multitasking.
- BAC level – 0.05: A driver’s behavior is slightly exaggerated. They may have trouble focusing their eyes, which can significantly affect tracking moving cars. Muscle control is decreased, which can affect steering capabilities.
- BAC level – 0.08: A driver’s speech, hearing, and walking abilities are affected. Their reaction time is slower, and their judgment is significantly decreased. The driver cannot concentrate and experiences memory difficulties.
- BAC level – 0.10: A driver has difficulty thinking and concentrating, and their speech is slurred. They are unable to stay in their lane or use the brakes effectively.
- BAC level – 0.15: A driver will stumble and be substantially impaired.
Recovering Compensation After an Accident
Gathering evidence against the at-fault driver is necessary to win a compensation claim successfully. It is essential to retain an experienced accident attorney who can take the following steps to collect that proof:
- Check nearby businesses for cameras to determine whether the accident was captured on video. Subpoenas can be served if there is evidence that the accident was recorded.
- Review the police report carefully for any mistakes. Reviewing it to prevent any setback for a compensation claim is essential.
- Determine how the accident occurred during accident reconstruction.
- Interview witnesses to determine if they recorded the accident on their cell phones.
How an Attorney Can Help With Your Injury Case
You may be tempted to handle your personal injury case after an accident. However, doing so may decrease your chances of recovering the maximum financial recovery you need and deserve. A lawyer has the experience to overcome the defense tactics insurance companies use to reduce or deny compensation. You can count on your attorney to protect your rights and best interests every step of the way.
About Our Law Firm
Our injury attorneys at AutoAccident.com have extensive experience assisting those hurt in motor vehicle accidents to obtain fair compensation for their damages and losses. As a top-rated personal injury law firm in Northern California, we use our experience, knowledge, skills, and resources to work tirelessly to secure a favorable resolution. Call us today to schedule a free consultation with our legal team.
Fresno Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a personal injury attorney in Fresno. If you suffered serious injuries in an accident, our experienced accident lawyers could help you recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional suffering. Call us today at (559) 377-7676 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
See a list of our past cases on our verdicts and settlements page.
cha llo [cs 710]